The importance of human rights over profits in China

The+NBA+faces+the+decision+on+whether+to+apologize+about+the+criticism+of+the+Chinese+Government+to+continue+expansion+in+China+or+stand+with+the+criticism%2C+
Tristian Wakefieeld
The NBA faces the decision on whether to apologize about the criticism of the Chinese Government to continue expansion in China or stand with the criticism,

The United States’ citizens and companies need to put their human morals above their greed for money and profits when doing business in China because of their suppression of basic human rights.

In 2019, there has been a massive rise in controversies between companies in the United States and the People’s Republic of China. During September and October companies such as Apple, Sony and Disney have censored Taiwan’s flag along with apps and news associated with the Hong Kong protests. Not only do US companies but also US citizens need to know morals should be held above their want for money and influence espically in China where its citizens are suppressed.

Lately, there has been mounting pressure on the NBA because the Houston Rocket’s General Manager Daryl Morey expressed his support for the Hong Kong Protests. Morey’s actions resulted in a fall out between the Chinese Government and NBA and its team owners.

The NBA controversy brought both political parties together in a bipartisan agreement, the NBA was in the wrong. Potential Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren said the NBA picked “its pocketbook over its principles” and senator Marco Rubio calling the entire situation “disgusting.”

The main problem in the eyes of the companies comes from the fact that China is one of the largest and most lucrative markets to expand into. Especially with China becoming less isolated, companies can not wait to access the pot of gold even if it is tainted. But that gold is tainted from the suppression of its people if they do not fit in under the communist party. 

When people do try to get out from underneath the suppressive system, the regime suppresses their own people by often extreme violence seen in Tiananmen Square. But it does not stop there, everything in China is either the Communist Party way or nothing. Video coverage released Oct. 4 showed Muslims from the western regions of China blindfolded and being forced to march while rumors circulate about reeducation camps.

Senior Brenna Morley summed up the general consensus of the students at PVHS. “I think doing business in China is fine and almost necessary right now,” Morley said. “But when the policy becomes appeasement over values, companies need to choose values every day.”

The idea of morals over appeasement is something companies need to pay attention to now. Right now, most students are oblivious about the real world, but it is important students take this lesson that companies need too. No matter how flashy money can be, morals and human rights are above anything in the world