Twitter pulls the plug on Vine

Everyone is familiar with the social media platform Vine, which is unique from the other platforms in that the user posts short six second videos instead of pictures. The app was one of the most popular apps of all time and revolutionized social media, but just this past Thursday, Vine announced that they would be discontinuing the app.

Vine, which is now owned by Twitter, announced in a post that they are shutting down the app. “Since 2013, millions of people have turned to Vine to laugh at loops and see creativity unfold. Today, we are sharing the news that in the coming months we’ll be discontinuing the mobile app.” The announcement also came amid the news that Twitter would also be laying off 9% of their employees.

No one is sure why Vine is being shut down, but there are some theories that the app couldn’t compete with Snapchat and Instagram and that Vine stars looked to Facebook and YouTube for more money, which decreased the popularity of the app. Vine star Esa Fung said, “Facebook and YouTube have a much larger scale than Vine, so you can reach more people and make the most money there.”  

Vine stated in their announcement that although they’re shutting down the app, they’ll continue to keep the website so people can keep watching Vines and downloading them. The app won’t be cut immediately, but it’s a plan Twitter has that will be put into effect in the coming months.  

$480
$1000