PV’s trap team: shooting for recognition

Grace Theilen
Grace Theilen uses her skills during practice with head coach John Ager.

Pleasant Valley is known for the opportunities it provides its students, allowing them to interact and build relationships. A unique team that many do not know about is Pleasant Valley’s Trap Team.

The trap team began its first season in 2014, as a result of local students’ urge to bring their passion for the activity to the district. The team gained the interests of many students and has grown progressively over the years, now with a large following. 

This team has two seasons: the fall and the spring. Their official season takes place during the spring, since most students come out during this time. Although the fall season serves as an optional choice for its members, the team uses this time to maintain the skills necessary prior to their upcoming season. As temperatures drop early this fall, their practices will continue in the spring every Wednesday in Clinton County.

Senior Grace Theilen is one of the many members on the team. As a junior, Theilen wanted to get out of her comfort zone and try something unlike any other activity, leading her to becoming a part of the team. “My dad and I used to go out to the range and he would teach me how to shoot different types of guns, so I decided it would be fun to do it competitively,” she said.

The trap team doesn’t only provide enjoyment to its members, but also provides competition among them, just like any other sport would. “We have many individual state and national titles but would love to take home more,” head coach Damien Dassie said.

In addition to the competitive aspects, they end their practices with team bonding exercises. “We would play games, like Annie Oakley, that anyone is able to participate in,” Theilen added. “At times we will have coaches and parents competing against one another and it is a lot of fun.” 

Dassie sees a lot of potential in his team. He decided to take the position as a coach when the team formed because he enjoys teaching kids and has coached younger kids in the past. Dassie states it promotes hunting and gun safety to those who may never have been around hunting before.

Assistant coach Chuck Mitchell thinks the best part of the team is every athlete has the opportunity to compete. “There is no defined number of players on the field, but the athlete can choose to compete in the number of discipline they choose,” he said.

As the trap team continues to grow every year, the coaches have goals of continuing to teach new athletes about shooting sports, like trap, and to develop a program at PV schools that everyone can be proud of.