From JV to state champion: Pleasant Valley’s Max Murphy shows patience can pay off

Max+Murphy+receives+a+medal+for+his+outstanding+victory+at+the+state+meet+in+Fort+Dodge%2C+IA.+
Ava Sorgenfrey
Max Murphy receives a medal for his outstanding victory at the state meet in Fort Dodge, IA.

After toiling away on junior varsity his first two years of high school and attaining minimal success at last year’s state meet, senior Max Murphy proved that hard work and commitment can result in great success. 

On Nov. 2 at the Class 4A state cross country meet in Fort Dodge, IA, Murphy rose to the occasion and was named state champion.

At the event, Murphy passed Dowling Catholic’s Sam Hall in the last ten meters of the race, capturing an individual state championship by two-tenths of a second. Murphy was able to complete the race in an outstanding 15 minutes and 29 seconds, resulting in the best finish in Pleasant Valley history. 

The moment that Murphy had dreamed of since freshman year became a reality, making a stellar senior season even more unforgettable. “It’s an amazing feeling to see years of hard work finally pay off,” he said. 

Varsity coach Nick Sacco has noticed the significant changes Murphy has made in order to prosper in the sport. “Overall, his desire to run hasn’t really changed, because he’s had that even as a freshman,” Sacco said. “But, putting in the extra miles consistently has helped him grow physically, which is a major factor toward his recent success.”

A MAC and district champion, Murphy joined 2007 graduate Devin Allbaugh as Pleasant Valley’s only individual state cross country champions. 

Murphy has officially made history at Pleasant Valley and the school is ready to celebrate his many accomplishments. “It was a lot of fun being his coach during his high school season,” Sacco said. “His performance can show other athletes that it can be done and that they have the potential to make a change as well.” 

As his high school season has officially come to an end, Murphy hopes to spend time preparing for his future as a Big Ten recruit at Iowa. “I believe I just need to keep doing what I’ve been doing and maintain that confidence and determination that kept me going through my high school career,” Murphy said. 

Murphy truly saved the best for last. Though he is sad to see his high school career come to a close, he is eager to see what the future holds and to continue to push for more success through persistence and patience.