The social media outburst of “ok, boomer”

Martha Shaff
Pictured: Licea’s mom, Martha Shaff, with a good friend, both fitting into the baby boomer age group however neither fitting the stereotype.

The phrase “Ok, Boomer” has taken over social media platforms. While some may think the saying is offensive to certain generations, it serves as an insult to one’s inability to accept that times have changed. 

The baby boomers range from the years of 1946-1964, a significantly wide gap. The group was raised during a historic time of milestones,including the Cold War, Watergate and the moon landing. While one’s experiences are distinct from those of other individuals, it seems as though the baby boomer generation has one thing in common;they cannot handle change. 

The last decade is one of the most progressive times our country has seen. Technology is evolving, people are following more progressive ideals and politics are greatly impacting the public. The American lifestyle is changing and everyone must adapt. 

Senior Jimmy Feeney is active on Twitter and feels people don’t accept change.“ They get comfortable with what they know, and when they are confronted with something that challenges the norm, they don’t always react well,” he said.

Tik Tok, an app used by many students, allows users to make videos to sounds, one of which would be the “ok, boomer” sound. A popular Tik Tok includes a teenage girl responding to the criticism she received for wearing ripped jeans with “ok, boomer”. While ripped jeans are deemed inappropriate for a working environment,  they are not scandalous by any means. In fact, it is now legal for women to go topless in six states;ripped jeans hardly flinch an eye compared.

While socially the decade has brought about extreme change, the world is changing to a greater extent politically. This is evident through the influx of students that are marching for their lives and speaking out. Additionally, is the new attitude towards socialism; as some boomers compare socialism to communism, the millennial age has a different perspective. 

The political age divide is quite prevalent. New Zealand lawmaker, Chlöe Swarbrick, gave a speech in support of climate change and responded to a heckler with“ok boomer.” This defense was used to support the idea that US Millennials and Gen X are more focused on climate change than previous generations. 

The political age divide is also relevant through the idea that the US. Millennials and Gen Z have been sticking together with an increasingly liberal outlook compared to the boomer generation. Age gap fights seem to occur during debates surrounding gun policy and climate change. Gen Z and millennials have been very vocal toward their interest in ending mass shootings and not letting the planet die. However, baby boomers have showed interest in their second amendment rights and oil companies. 

Baby boomers have called Gen. Z and millennials a variety of names, from “soft” to “snowflakes”. However, Gen Z is here to advocate for the change that the boomers disregarded; Gen Z is here to pick up their mess. Boomers had their time to protest civil rights and wars, so it is time they support the ideas of Gen Z and millennials. 

Times are changing and it is time the boomers do too.