The nature of playing the second game in double-headers

Maya McClain
The girls’ team celebrates a well-played point at the Bettendorf double-header.

For years, the varsity boys basketball team has played second at double-header games. That means more students, fans, and support. However, for much of the time, the girls team has performed better than the boys, causing them to be under-recognized and under-supported. For this reason, the girls deserve to play second at one double-header per season.

The biggest basketball games of the year are typically the double-headers at home because of their convenience to students. On Friday, Feb. 14, the girls and boys basketball teams played Bettendorf at home, and of course, the girls played first.

The girls team playing first causes the student and fan section to be lacking, and the team is not as supported as it should be. The girls work just as hard as the boys, having practice seven days a week, doing team volunteering, and coaching younger players. They should be treated equally to the boys, and that means getting more recognition at double-header games.

Varsity point guard Regan Denny brings light to the nature of double-headers at PV. “Most people show up at the end of the girls game,” she said. “Since they always put the boy’s game second, it just shows that our school finds their game more important than ours.” In the 2018-2019 season, the varsity girls team had a record of 28-1, while the boys team was 15-8. At the 2019 Bettendorf double-header, boys still played second.

With nearly even records in the 2019-2020 season, the girls basketball team should have a chance to play second. Varsity center Riley Vice explains why playing the second game at a double-header is better. “I don’t think that it’s fair for the girls team to always play first when it comes to double-headers. Some may argue that it wouldn’t make sense to change the order since we have been playing the girls first and boys second for so long,” she said. 

Vice continues, “However, switching the girls to the second game may bring more students and fans to our games.” Although tradition has held over time, changing an old custom can be a good thing. 

The PV girls basketball team is very passionate about what they do. In the 2019-2020 season, there has already been controversy over the sexist attitude of the school. To fix the problem, the athletic department at the high school needs to make changes to the way the basketball program runs.

Vice tells about her love for the sport. “I’m hopeful that our team will receive the same attention and support as the boys’ team on Friday. Girls basketball to me is and has been very underrated in the sense of what girls are capable of doing on the basketball court,” she continues, “But when it comes down to it all, I’m just happy that I’m playing the sport I love with my 15 other teammates and personal cheerleaders.”

The girls team works hard on and off the court. Their fiery spirit and controversial nature prove them worthy to be noticed by the community. They deserve to play second at one doubleheader per season because of their hard work, skill, and dedication.