Former Pleasant Valley Superintendent to be named Bettendorf’s interim superintendent

Maya McClain
Superintendent Dr. Jim Spelhaug proudly stands with his appointed replacement, Brian Strusz, last fall.

The Bettendorf School District has asked former Pleasant Valley Superintendent, Dr. Jim Spelhaug, to act as interim Superintendent of Bettendorf Schools as they continue their search to find a permanent candidate. The board will vote on his appointment on Monday evening.

Current Bettendorf Superintendent Michael Raso announced in February that he will take a personal leave through the end of his contract. The Bettendorf District is searching for a permanent replacement. 

While the board announced its finalists for the position back in January and intended to vote on its selection in mid-February, neither finalist has been appointed. 

Spelhaug retired after the 2018-2019 school year and had planned to enjoy free time watching his daughters play sports. However, Bettendorf school officials asked him to step in for the time being. 

“They approached me about their situation, and I saw it necessary to step in and help,” Spelhaug said.

Spelhaug has many years of experience as a superintendent. He held the position at PV for 15 years. Before that, he was the district’s assistant superintendent for seven years and a building principal for the seven years prior.

Brain Strusz, PV’s current superintendent, said this appointment comes as no surprise. “Dr. Spelhaug personally met with me and two others before accepting the position,” Strusz said. “He wanted to make sure we knew that Bettendorf Community School Board had reached out to him to assist their district.”

His success as a superintendent for PV schools made Spelhaug an easy choice to serve as Bettendorf’s interim.

“My experience made me a great fit for this role at this point in time,” Spelhaug said.

Strusz believes Spelhaug has much to offer the district in their time of need. “If he can assist Bettendorf during this transitional period, it is the right thing to do for the students, staff, parents and community of Bettendorf,” he said.

While the two districts tend to be each other’s rival in athletics, Strusz stressed that both districts are part of one community and have common goals when it comes to student success. 

“We must all work together to ensure we are providing a quality education for all students in our own districts and across the Quad Cities,” Strusz said.

The Bettendorf District website still has the position’s timeline for hiring posted and shows a permanent new hire is scheduled to begin this July.

“The contact goes until June 30, and I won’t work past then,” Spelhaug said.