Clothing businesses rise during COVID: How many teens turn to Instagram for profit

Azzy Brown
Doorstep delivery makes for a safe and efficient exchange during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Social media platforms have made buying and selling easier and more accessible.  Many teenagers have turned to Instagram to become self-employed managers of their own accounts used strictly for business purposes. 

Because of the platform’s high engagement rates and targeted advertising options, teenagers have turned to Instagram to build their brand. Unlike many social media apps focusing on texts and links, Instagram is centered around photo and video, making the platform visually appealing. Instead of simply explaining the product, sellers can show it to create a more captivating message.

With the use of modern technology, contactless delivery has become easier than ever. Thus, business exchanges have only increased in popularity even with the onset of COVID-19. 

Using apps like Venmo or PayPal, the buyer can prepay. Therefore, the seller can leave items at the doorstep of their house or the mailbox of their buyers without coming in any proximity to the other party. 

PV senior and co-owner of an Instagram clothing account (@gangzcloset) Raegan Stein voiced, “Since we started the account during COVID, it was important that we could do it in a way that makes people feel safe. I had to download Venmo to broaden our audience because some people aren’t comfortable with using cash, or just don’t have it laying around.”

“Venmo has enabled us to ship out to places out of the QC. When the customer does live in the QC, Venmo is the most convenient for the seller because we get the payment in advance so we know the customer is willing to pay for the item. Now, I have resorted to mainly either setting out items, or dropping it off at people’s front door step,” Stein continued. 

The urge for a closet-cleanout or a new pastime during quarantine motivated many to start Instagram businesses. In the midst of quarantine boredom, Stein was motivated by her mother, a fellow reseller, to sell clothes after stumbling across another teenager’s clothing account. She owned countless items of clothing she had previously thrifted but knew she would not wear so she decided to sell them: one Instagram post at a time.

During times of mandatory physical distancing and isolation, Instagram businesses have connected people from all over the country. 

Over quarantine, Stein got in contact with a popular thrift page and was then added to a Snapchat group message full of about 30 different clothing account users from around the country. “I learned from them about pricing, how often we should post, how to ship for cheap, and more. A few weeks into our account I helped organize a Lululemon giveaway, and we had gained hundreds of followers. That giveaway broadened our audience and we soon got lots of bids on items from people outside of the Quad Cities.” Stein remarked.

The business world of Instagram has become a newfound passion for many teenagers. Sharyl Stein, the owner of a successful Poshmark clothing business, noted the impact of business ventures at a young age. “Teenagers learn how to use tools that are readily available to them for self-benefit…. To own your own business, you need to communicate well, have a high level of customer service and follow through with delivering a product as-described in a timely manner,” stated Stein.

The startup of media clothing businesses have increased in order for teens to earn some pocket money during the pandemic. Whether teenagers want to void their closet of piles of unworn clothes, want an excuse to go out and thrift or connect with customers online, clothing businesses have become an unsurpassable opportunity for many. As the dollar signs accumulate, so does the knowledge of successful marketing skills.