Toys for kids crossing a line

Jonathan Chiles
The Poopsie Dancing Unicorn doll has caused some controversy over its vulgarness.

Kids have played with toys for generations, but as time has passed and technology has evolved, the toys they play with have changed. The wonders of modern technology have produced some truly innovative and amazing toys.

A few of these modern toys are simply great entertainment, while others encourage learning or help kids express their creativity. These kinds of toys are often remembered fondly by adults for the way they shaped their childhood. After all, the things one does as a child become a part of who one is as adults, so kids who expressed creativity throughout their youth will generally be more creative as adults.

A study conducted by Gwen Dewar, Ph.D, showed construction toys like LEGO help develop STEM skills in children. She claims if parents are going to spend money on toys, construction toys would be a worthwhile purchase.

However, not all toys are created equally. While most toys are created with the intent to help children learn and grow or provide entertainment, some toys are forged with deeper, darker intentions: lowbrow humor. This kind of humor generally relates to vulgar topics. Clearly, there is nothing wrong with a little lowbrow humor here and there, but these intentions raise the question: what is appropriate for kids to play with?

One toy that pushes the boundaries of what kids should be playing with is named Poopsie Slime Surprise Unicorn. This doll will poop rainbow colored slime the seller claims is collectable. It also does an obnoxious dance routine to celebrate. Oh, and the best part is it is nearly $90.

While kids may enjoy anything and everything to do with poop, this toy does nothing to help enforce positive development. There are toys even more offensive like the Punisher action figure that has a bunch of secret weapons that can be attached to him. One is a massive rocket that is mounted on the action figures crotch that needs to be cocked to fire. Clearly, some toys are worse than others.

Senior Sam Kowing believes it does not matter how offensive or strange a toy may be. “If parents want to buy weird toys for their kids that is their choice, and if the product is too weird it will not sell well,” he said.

Senior Josh Hofman agreed with this sentiment. “I feel like a kids toy that is supposed to be controversial could possibly be harmful, but for the most part, it should be safe as long as the parents know what they are buying,” he said.

Although Hofman believes the choice to buy a controversial toy is up to the parent, he does have an opinion on what is moral and what is not. ”Too far for a kids toy, at least for me, would be something that doesn’t even try to hide what it is, like candy cigarettes or something like that,” he explained. “A good kids toy should be something that is engaging and safe.”

Although there is nothing inherently wrong with purchasing such questionable toys, there are just better toys to be buying for kids. The early years of one’s life are important, and getting kid’s toys that help them develop will only make them better off later in life.