Undesired heat during the Christmas season: Christmas tree fires

TanteTati via Pixabay
Christmas trees can be found in tens of millions of American homes each year, and knowing how to protect against Christmas tree fires is vital to ensuring the safety of one’s home.

This time of year, Christmas trees are filling up many Americans’ homes with the recognizable holiday scent and lights glittering through the windows. Despite their magic, reports show that in the United States alone twenty-five to thirty million Christmas trees are sold each year.

In the United States, many families are unaware of the potential risks that involve having Christmas trees — and even fewer take precautions against them. 

Christmas tree fires account for over 10 million dollars in property damage each year in the United States. Luckily, studies have shown how these fires start, so consumers know how to protect themselves from experiencing this tragedy in their homes.

Firstly, most Christmas tree fires begin from a heat source. This means that by placing one’s Christmas tree away from a potential fire starter ensures the safety of the tree. Additionally, most Christmas trees are decorated with lights and confirming that all of the lights being used are not damaged can help protect the tree from catching fire. 

Next, make sure that the tree stays properly hydrated. Dried-out trees are more likely to catch fire.

Finally, never leave a Christmas tree unattended when lights are on or other flammable substances are near the tree.

Despite the stories on the news about Christmas tree tragedies, many Americans just do not believe the risk is high enough that they should worry about it happening to themselves. Mark Zuiderveen, the father of a PVHS junior detailed his thoughts on Christmas tree fires.

“I never had a real tree growing up because of the maintenance of them and the hassle of falling needles, etc.,” Zuiderveen explained. “Tied into this was the potential fire risk. My Dad was a former firefighter, so a fake tree was a much better option to him. Because of this background, I never even considered a real tree when I got married and have enjoyed various models of reusable, fake trees year after year.”

Many families hold this perspective, as real Christmas trees can be a hassle to maintain and are not worth the risk of a fire starting. Former PVHS student Craig Richard shared what his family does with Christmas trees this season.

“My family has a fake Christmas tree because it’s easier to handle and we don’t have to worry about the dangers of a potential fire,” Richard stated.

Whether one decides to buy a real Christmas tree or use a fake one, it is important that all individuals are aware of the risks associated with Christmas trees even if they do not directly benefit from the knowledge themselves. These preventative measures are vital to ensuring the safety of Americans during this Christmas season.