Faith through Athletics: How PV’s fellowship of christian athletes is handling the COVID-19 pandemic

Camryn Woods
Pleasant Valley FCA used their December meeting to pack Christmas boxes to be donated

Pleasant Valley’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is a club for students who compete in the athletic world while maintaining  a strong Christian faith. The COVID-19 pandemic affected both their religious and athletic lives, and therefore, FCA.

When the hybrid school year started, Joe Youngbauer as well as the students leaders of FCA, did not know if they would be able to hold meetings this year. The group adapted to the new guidelines and decided to hold meetings on the first Monday of each month.

Youngbauer, a teacher at PV and the adult leader of FCA, had high praise for the changes his students made during the COVID-19 pandemic. “Our leadership team has done a great job using social media to try and spread the word about FCA…trying to let as many student-athletes as possible know what we are all about,” he said.

Camryn Woods, a junior at PV and a leader of FCA, was overwhelmed by the turnout of the first meeting. “Our first meeting, held on the football field, exceeded our expectations with over 40 students in attendance. Since then we have seen consistent faces having great attendance every month,” she explained.

Although the club is not meeting as often as they have in years past, they are glad to meet at all due to the ongoing pandemic. FCA is a place for athletes to connect with each other about their faith, but it is also an opportunity to give back to the community.

FCA has been doing community work ever since it was first established at Pleasant Valley, and that did not stop this year. Students spent their last two meetings giving back to families in the area by creating Christmas donation boxes.

Woods is proud of the group for the work they have done and believe the boxes will help out people in need. “Each box was filled with toys, soap, socks, tooth brushes, school supplies and more. With donations brought in by our group, dozens of kids will be able to receive an impactful, useful Christmas gift all while sharing the Word of God,” she said.

These efforts by FCA have not gone unseen. Every year, more and more athletes join PV’s chapter because they want to give back and be connected to God while doing so.