Don’t wish me a Merry Christmas

The chilly December month brings holiday concerts that have been full of children singing of Jesus and the Christian holiday of Christmas. The choir of diverse children singing of only ONE celebration of only ONE religion. Why have schools decided to only appreciate this religion? The saying ‘Merry Christmas’ is no longer socially acceptable. Over the years, Americans have assumed their neighbors and friends celebrate the same holidays. The idea of setting up the tree and hanging decorations, listening to Frank Sinatra and drinking hot chocolate is common, but these aren’t always regular traditions for everyone.

Are other religions not as important? The United States has always had the face of white Christians, aligning with this idea, school programs chose to think the same; ignoring the other religions and celebrations and forcing students to sing of only one god. Parents of other religions were furious to the acts of the schools, making their children stand outside of the concert in protest to only appreciating the ‘white’ religion.  Not only do we see this problem in school concerts, but it is also prevalent in grocery stores, restaurants, and shopping malls.

“When people wish me and my family a Merry Christmas we always say thank you, because we aren’t expecting people to say anything else,” says freshman, Hannah Lederman, who celebrates Hanukkah. Employees trying to spread holiday cheer by saying “Merry Christmas,” are really saying “Have a good Christian holiday even though I don’t know if you celebrate it.” Starbucks has been a culprit of this too, with supplying their holiday cups with a red tone full of Christmas trees, snowflakes, and bells. Many customers were angry with the assumption of Christianity on the cups they purchase.

Christianity isn’t the only religion with a winter holiday. Many citizens in the Pleasant Valley community celebrate Hanukkah, also known as The Jewish Festival of Lights, and it is exactly that. Celebrating this holiday consists of lighting candles for eight days starting on Dec. 6, to honor the rededication of the second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem. Many families do traditions such as lighting the menorah, playing the dreidel game, eating gelt, cooking and baking delicious food, and enjoying the fun of Hanukkah gifts. “My family usually lights the menorah for 8 nights, does basic prayers and enjoy presents,” says senior, Madison Ellis. But you don’t see children singing Hanukkah songs in the month of December, do you?

Along with Hanukkah, another overlooked holiday is Kwanzaa that is celebrated by many African Americans. This holiday is a secular festival from December 26 to January 1 as a celebration of their cultural heritage and traditional values. Dr. Karenga created this festival for African-Americans as a response to the commercialism of Christmas. This time is spent gathering with family and friends and reconnecting with their culture.

Year 2016 has begun to recognize other holidays. School holiday programs this year have decided to dedicate each grade to a different religion/holiday. This has opened up a new era of acceptance and respect toward other holidays, and not only paying attention Christmas. Starbucks has also changed their ways as well, creating a green cup full of many different faces. “During a divisive time in our country, Starbucks wanted to create a symbol of unity as a reminder of our shared values, and the need to be good to each other,” Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz, said.

Having a Happy Holiday includes recognizing all holidays instead of just one. Americans are full of diversity and love and spreading holiday cheer, instead of just Christmas cheer. This will make 2016 holidays better than the past. Wish everyone a Happy Holiday and don’t assume everyone is wishing for a Merry Christmas.