Make it or break it: How reputations impact the minds of high school students

Maleigha McCulley
Countless students struggle with battling and establishing reputations in high school amidst the changing atmosphere.

Often it is challenging to resist the perceptions others may have of oneself, and that difficulty is extremely prominent within the walls of each and every high school.

The reputations students have to either establish or battle against in their high school years can be debilitating and cause strife unlike anything they have experienced before. Adolescents often go into high school with expectations created by years of television shows and movies as well as false realities within social media, and as a result of that, it is not uncommon to get caught up in drama and emotions.

One singular decision, mistake or misconception can redefine the label given to a student by their peers. Although others’ opinions should never define who one is, the weight of each new description can completely disrupt the image oneself. 

Understanding why reputations exist and why they hold so much power over adolescent minds is an important step in overcoming their undeniable disruption, and senior Sophia Lindquist has experienced the pressure of these reputations. 

“In high school, there is a constant pressure to be special and unique, while also following the typical standards set for us. If we conform, we are branded as ‘boring’ or having no personality,” she said. 

“On the other hand, if we act out, we are labeled as ‘weird’ or ‘annoying.’ It is very difficult to build a reputation in the middle of these two extremes, and even harder to maintain it.”

Lindquist elaborated on one very clear point within the eyes of reputations: those standards are completely unattainable. For some students, the pressure of being someone that society deems acceptable is crippling.

Not only do these labels create immense challenges regarding self esteem and self image, but they also initiate backlash and hesitation amongst students to befriend their peers if their reputation states them as someone they may not be. 

“Reputations are everything in high school. Before starting any kind of relationship with someone- whether it be friendly or romantic- we consider their reputation,” Lindquist commented. “People are more willing to get to know someone if they have heard good things about them in the past. The issue is that reputations do not always accurately represent people, and without a support system, students’ mental health is bound to suffer.”

An important theme that is sometimes disregarded in the minds of adolescents surrounds the struggle of mental health in high school as a result of unattainable expectations. Whether this be through academics, social status or within oneself, it is a giant issue. 

In a society where mental health awareness is continually on the rise, it is important to address these issues and have conversations about them. Senior Corea Connor is a student that emphasizes communication and advocates for a deeper understanding of individuals, and she explained her perspective.

It’s truly hard for our brains not to acknowledge the things people have been labeled as. Students also tend to label themselves and believe that others think a certain way about them, when in reality that is not true,” she explained. “In other words, we will tell ourselves that someone thinks this way about us when it may be what we think of ourselves. Effective communication is so important for all of us to learn and understand one another.”

Highly driven, competitive and socially intertwined students are more likely to compare themselves to one another, to compete for the most validation and recognition and also to feel the highest amount of pressure to satisfy the majority. This toxic behavior is a pattern within the walls of each and every high school, and although it likely starts at a very young age and continues on into adulthood, it is prominent in teenage environments.

Personal struggles are highlighted by others, used against one another and weaponized. Lies are told and rumors are made up in order to one-up one’s so-called “competitor.” Whether it be in a friendship, relationship or academic/athletic setting, high school can feel like a feeding ground for sharks. 

This is a common theme, and many students find themselves stuck in the whirlwind that is high school and reputations. Maintaining an image that is acceptable to society but also comfortable to oneself is an immense challenge. 

Personally, I have always struggled with reputation. As teenagers, we are all growing up and learning to navigate the world and are going to change during this time,” Lindquist shared. “I sometimes find it difficult to try and find who I am and change different aspects of my life while also maintaining a reputation that is acceptable in society’s standards. Trying to balance this often makes me feel a little frustrated and lost.”

Whether it be a concept of societal standards that has warped its way into the minds of developing adolescents or a construct created by growing minds, reputations can be toxic and harmful. Having meaningful conversations and learning to overcome these feats is where people may begin to recognize these issues and, therefore, achieve progress towards a healthier environment for teenagers.

$480
$1000