The lack of quality sexual health education and its adverse effects

Josie
The “Worth the Wait” curriculum is the basis for an abstinence-based sex education for all students to be taught at PV and has been for years.

The lack of quality sexual education for students, both at PV and on a national scale, is no secret. Misconceptions surrounding sensitive topics such as sex, STDs, bodily functions and dating have been established due to students turning to the Internet when their curiosity finds them before proper education on the matter does.

Even when students get the opportunity to learn about sex in the classroom, the myth of abstinence is spoon-fed to them instead of helpful information.

Abstinence is the basis of the sexual education portion of the health class required to be taken by freshman at PV. Titled “Worth the Wait,” the section deals with warning students of the dangers of sex.

Health teacher Eric Royer has taught the health course for years at PV. “The ‘Worth the Wait’ material is abstinence based but does teach contraception methods as well as provides information on the failure rate of that contraception practice and how much STD protection is provided,” he explained.

While it is true that there are risks to sex, many problems lie in abstience-focused education. For example, there is no unit regarding what a healthy sexual relationship looks like if a student makes a choice outside of abstinence. Nothing on consent, nothing on sexual assault– only abstinence.

Additionally, the teachings of abstinence are often ineffective, as 95 percent of Americans engage in premarital sex. While some may argue that sex-positive education would result in more sexual activity in teens, studies have proven that this is a myth. There is even evidence that proves that certain abstinence-based curriculums have caused higher pregnancy and drop-out rates among students.

Therefore, it is clear that abstinence is leading adolescents in the wrong direction. This program is scaring teenagers out of something that is a natural part of life.

This is where misconceptions and confusion begin to form. The units within sex ed should contain information on consent, sexual assault, rape and more–not just STDs and abstinence. Along with this, information on bodily functions, such as periods and discharge, is something that students–especially females–have reported to be lacking.

“Sex education at [PV] barely taught the minimum in elementary school. I was confused about my body processes, such as discharge and other changes, and there were no resources telling me this was normal,” an anonymous female PV student stated.

Another aspect that has not been covered at all is learning about sexuality. More specifically, coming out, LGBTQ+ history and different sexualities in general. This is one of the subjects that is crucial to add to the curriculum for students–especially younger students, before a stigma around these topics can influence how they feel about the topic.
Disappointingly, only nine states incorporate positive discussion on sexual orientation in sex ed classes, despite the increasing amount of openly LGBTQ+ students.

Through a sex ed program that gives students education on sexual orientation, students learn that it is normal to face same-sex attraction or gender dysphoria (a condition that comes from a disconnection between one’s birth-assigned gender) at a young age. They will then grow up more comfortable with themselves and their peers. Consequently, LGBTQ+ students will have lower rates of mental health issues, something that is common within these students.

This often ignored part of sex education is not just crucial for LGBTQ+ students, however. It being part of the curriculum can break the stigma and promote a more welcoming environment at school for everyone.

But by learning this type of information early on, all students will grow up with knowledge that can help them combat misinformation on the Internet that may lead them to develop prejudices regarding the LGBTQ+ community.

Education on sexuality also goes along with removing heteronormativity in the sex education students receive in high school and middle school, when schools dive into topics regarding dating and STDs. This means the inclusion of information on dating that isn’t exclusive to opposite-sex relationships, as well as other information that promotes self-acceptance among young LGBTQ+ individuals.

It is clear that sex education lacks in some areas. As relevant topics are often left out and while outdated ones are left in, students are missing out on valuable information–information that they may otherwise continue being misinformed on.

$580
$1000