OPINION: Talent by the dollar: The complex path to athletic recruitment in America

IMG Academy
    Enzo Panozzo catches his breath in a soccer match during his 2020 campaign at IMG academy.

A common goal for high school student athletes is to achieve the rank of playing at the next level. Many teenagers dream of playing sports in college one day, but the odds of public school attendant recruits have decreased greatly in recent years.

This is due to the introduction of private and prep schools, where athletes and their families can contribute thousands of dollars for attendance and recruiting benefits. 

In an article describing the assets of private schools, the author gives insight as to why athletes are recruited more heavily there. “Overall, the private schools have advantages that allow [athletes] to plan games when they need, have great resources and attract college coaches. Public schools have to rely on what they have and hope their seasons go well,” it explained. 

The idea of paying money for recruiters is not unheard of in public schools, but it is certainly not the norm. Public schools instill more common goals, like team bonding and leadership, as opposed to the advertisement of recruitment and the presence of college coaches. 

Enzo Panozzo is a former PV student who transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, where he currently plays soccer. Originally, he had hopes of pursuing a career in soccer but found it difficult to become noticed at the public level. The move to private school created opportunities and connections galore for the aspiring collegiate athlete. 

With his commitment to IMG, Panozzo has been provided with many advantages regarding recruiting. “As my goal is to play sports in college, we have coaches that come watch our practices and games. For example, today The University of North Carolina visited our practice and watched us play,” he said. “IMG has opened up new doors and opportunities for my athletic career because I am receiving more looks and contacts to specific colleges than if I were at a public school.”

Unless an athlete is a top-tier prospect or possesses the ability to go to camps and meet with coaches, not many students at public schools have the privilege of getting so much exposure.

According to a report, the average cost of private school at the high school level is approximately $15,315 per year on average. 

To put this into perspective, there are brand new cars priced at $15,000 in the United States. The kids with the privilege to attend private schools are at a significant advantage in many aspects of their athletic careers, as they are paying to be recruited and advertised by the academies. 

Senior Justin Ancelet explained his difficulties with the recruiting process as a soccer player. “To help put my name out, I had to personally pay for a recruiter. I needed to set up a recruiter profile so that colleges could see that I existed,” he said. “Being at a public school it can be hard to get film out and being an athlete who wants to play in college I had to send coaches videos of me playing because they were unable to see me in person.”

Ancelet’s struggles are just one example of how detrimental it can be to miss out on attending a private school for recruiting. 

Due to its plethora of benefits, private school has become appealing to the eyes of young athletes, but not all families can afford it. It is unjust to create limitless opportunities for athletes who can rely on money for success. 

When will the revolution of recruiting occur so public school athletes with equal talent but not enough money can have the opportunity to reach the next level fairly?