Influencer presence at the Met Gala

Harper Clark, Student Life Editor

Every year, people eagerly await the release of the guest list to see which of their favorite celebrities made the cut. Instead of the usual excitement that the list kicks off, the event was met with backlash due to a certain type of celebrity that made the list: social media influencers.

Influencers like Dixie D’Amelio, Addison Rae, Nikkie de Jager (NikkieTutorials on YouTube) and Emma Chamberlain were some to get an invite.

Typically, to get on the prestigious Met Gala guest list, one must be invited by Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour herself, but as social media platforms have become large sponsors of the event, YouTube and Instagram were able to buy tables at this year’s event to bring their own influencers.

Many people have questioned if influencers like Rae and D’Amelio deserve one of the coveted spots after gaining fame from creating what many consider to be boring and non-original content on platforms like TikTok. The pushback comes from ordinary people believing that too many influencers would slowly start to decrease the prestige of the Met Gala.

In a viral tweet, someone imagined a possible conversation between long-time invitee Lady Gaga who mistakes Rae for a waitress at the event.

Gaga fictionally asks, “Waitress can you get me some champagne?” In which Rae responded with, “I’m Addison Rae.” Finishing off the conversation, Gaga says, “Okay Addison Rae get me some champagne.”

This tweet was clearly meant to attack Rae for her ill deserved invite and miniscule amount of popularity compared to celebrities attending the Gala.

Unlike influencers who have easily obtained invites, movie stars and music artists have had to earn their invites by creating a world-renowned persona and even accompany the fashion designer as a plus one.

On the other hand, for celebrities like Jennifer Lopez, who graced her 12th Met Gala red carpet this year, their careers have been consistent since the beginning and those are what earned them an invite. But, it had still taken Lopez about 10 years of professional work before being invited to her first Met Gala.

Lopez is truly a triple threat. She has been successful in dancing, singing and acting. For celebrities like Rae and D’Amelio, who found stardom in 2019 by recreating dances on TikTok, they have already been invited to their first Met Gala, taking only two years to be invited to the most awaited fashion night of the year.

Not only have these influencers been handed invitations to the most esteemed fashion events in the world, but they have also been given opportunities that some hard working celebrities have yet to have.

Highly influential people from around the world gathered here on Sept. 13 to attend the biggest fashion night of the year.