Joe Rogan controversy raises questions about the validity of present information sources

Parker Paulson
Two PV students prepare to record a podcast together.

Joe Rogan, an MMA commentator and founder of the podcast called “The Joe Rogan Experience (JRE),” received backlash from Spotify listeners after inviting guest Dr. Robert Malone onto his talk show where Dr. Malone spread misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccine. The podcast aired on Dec. 31, and artists like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell soon deleted their content off the site in protest.

During the podcast, Dr. Malone stated there was a cure to the COVID-19 virus. “Ivermectin alone, if properly utilized, is capable of driving this pathogen to extinction,” he said. “That number is high enough to be, independently, the end of COVID if we decide to make it so.”

Ivermectin is a drug often used for treating parasites in humans and animals. The drug is able for use when treating parasitic worms and head lice, and it has been rumored that the drug could be a probable cure for COVID-19.

Dr. Malone referenced a study done in Egypt by Benha University. The study tested the effects of ivermectin as a cure for the Coronavirus, and the results concluded that mortality rates from the virus dropped by 90%.

This number is convincing, but the study done by the university was skewed. Jack Lawrence, a medical student in London, found many discrepancies in the information presented. The study stated that the data was compiled from 100 people ranging in ages from 18 to 80, yet Lawrence found three people under 18 used in the study. 

Patients in the study were also documented as leaving the hospital on June 31, which is not a date on the calendar. Due to the multiple discrepancies, the study was put under investigation due to ethical concerns and misinformation.

An open letter created by multiple doctors targeted Spotify and Rogan and called the two out for misinformation. It was written and signed by nearly 270 science educators, physicians and doctors. This open letter called on Spotify to implement a misinformation policy, specifically calling out Rogan’s Podcast.

The letter said that Spotify has enabled the media it hosts to spread misinformation more easily. The JRE is the most popular podcast in the world with an average of 11 million listeners per episode. The letter outlined how Rogan has a history of spreading misinformation, especially about COVID-19. 

Each episode of the JRE is a conversation with guests invited on by Rogan. He has complete control over the guests that he chooses to invite, and he is known for inviting on a wide array of people. Rogan has become skilled in having conversations that get people thinking about the world around them, whether the information referenced is misleading or not.

Last year, MSNBC reporter Rachel Maddow said that people who are vaccinated cannot get the virus. At the time, she may have believed that to be true, yet after more recent tests and findings, Maddow’s statement has been proven to be false. Despite its inaccuracy, the clip is still up on YouTube.

So where can the line be drawn between news and entertainment? Maddow, a news anchor, said something that was not true on national television. Rogan, on the other hand, had a professional who spread misinformation on a podcast where thousands of celebrities are interviewed about their viewpoints.

Rogan’s podcasts are not on the same level as a news source such as MSNBC or Fox News. He does not claim to have the latest information on COVID-19 and should not be a first source of information for anyone – COVID related or not. So is it Spotify’s responsibility to label podcasts as possibly containing misinformation? 

Through the backlash he received, his podcast raised questions about the responsibility of those with large platforms to their viewers. Should each individual have everything they say fact checked before it is posted online? Does this apply to people who work in live entertainment positions? Are viewers supposed to take everything said to heart?

These answers are not simple. Simplicity is sacrificed when the public prioritizes an abundance of information over just facts, something that is often done today. There are a plethora of news sources, and sometimes it is difficult to know what to believe or care about. One crucial idea for society to be aware of is the context in which information is shared. 

The broad range of viewers listening to Rogan’s podcast seem to give him more responsibility to spread the truth than others. It may be easy for a few people to discern fact from fiction or to understand that podcasts should not be the only source of information. However, not all 11 million of Rogan’s listeners have these skills. Some JRE viewers may have large platforms of their own that spread information as “truth” instead of their own opinion. Some of this information may come from sources that are primarily meant for entertainment purposes, like Rogan’s podcast.

Ethan Kilcoin, a senior at PV, commented on Rogan’s effect on his audience. “A large amount of people get their news from the JRE, and when that news is misinformation, it makes people’s perception skewed,” he said. 

On Sunday, Rogan posted a video on Spotify and Instagram in response to the controversy. Rogan outlined the status of the guests who appeared on episodes that were the basis of the letter addressed to Spotify. “Both these people are very highly credentialed … and they have an opinion that’s different from the mainstream narrative,” said Rogan. “I wanted to hear what their opinion is.”

During the same video, Rogan revealed Spotify’s wishes to put a disclaimer at the beginning of controversial episodes. Rogan agreed the action will help to keep the population informed with the consensus of mainstream media. However, Rogan has never claimed his talk show to be a news podcast.

On Rogan’s talk show, he brings on people whose opinion he wants to hear. The public cannot take what these people say during casual conversation as fact in that setting. The podcast is a source of entertainment, the same as a Netflix show or video on YouTube.

When audiences grow larger, it becomes more improbable to stay in control of information. In order to allow Rogan’s guests to speak without the risk of spreading misinformation, Spotify could add a disclaimer to the description of the podcast stating “for entertainment services only.” 

In this day and age and for schools and beyond, it is more important than ever for people to be conscious of who they trust on the internet. Most people are aware of fake news. Sometimes it is difficult not to listen, especially when someone with the title of “doctor” is sharing information. It is necessary to understand that the news is a place designed to share facts, while podcasts are often places for opinions.