Scholarly surveillance: Proposed legislation aims to put live streaming cameras in Iowa classrooms

Makenna Leiby
PV students are featured working independently in a classroom.

Iowa Republican Rep. Norlin Mommsen proposed bill  H.F. 2177 that would require live streaming cameras in all K-12 public school classrooms. 

The bill, proposed on Jan. 1, 2022, was set to reach a subcommittee meeting on Feb. 9. The current version of the bill features a requirement for all public school classrooms, excluding special education or gym classrooms, to have a livestream camera on throughout all class times. Furthermore, it states any superintendent who fails to comply with the potential regulations will be fined 5% of their weekly salary. 

The fining of salaries extends to educators; any teacher who obstructs, denies or purposefully interferes with the usage of the cameras will be given a written warning on their first offense and a 5% salary fine after multiple offenses. 

The proposed bill also specifies that public school administrations will be individually tasked with purchasing and installing the camera systems. If the task is not completed efficiently, the school district will face legal consequences. 

To calm expected concerns, the bill also features specifications stating only parents or guardians would have access to the feeds. 

Mommsen claimed to have created the legislation because of a growing desire for parental involvement in the classroom. “Because when I look at it like remote learning, it did spark parental interest in what was going on in the schools and that’s what I was trying to nurture and continue on,” Mommsen told the Des Moines Register

The Iowa representative believes allowing guardians to experience their student’s daily school life will expand the connection between schools and families. The idea of increased parent involvement in children’s education has been rising in popularity among conservatives nationwide. 

Continually, with recent educational controversies such as COVID-19 regulations, claims of teaching Critical Race Theory (CRT) and politics in the classroom occurring in Iowa, Mommsen wanted to expand monitoring on educators. “Similar to a body camera on a policeman, a camera takes away the ‘he said, she said,’” he told  Insider. 

The announcement of the bill was met with large groups of supporters and skeptics. The main criticisms of the proposal include the lack of trust placed in educators, unnecessary funds taken from districts and the breach of student privacy. 

Since the bill suggests constant surveillance of classes in session, it would be nearly impossible to ensure parents viewing the livestream can view only their student. Therefore, the nature of the proposition would be a breach of any non-consenting student’s privacy. 

Senior Spencer Sweatt discussed his skepticism about parents having access to students’ daily lives. “I don’t like the feeling of being viewed by parents. It’s never been their place to watch students in school. You never know the intent of parents,¨ he said. 

Furthermore, the cost of the cameras and their necessities would take valuable funds from other deserving areas of education. With recent extreme education budget cuts in Iowa, public school districts cannot afford to stray their budget any further from the students’ absolute needs. 

The major concern regarding the potential law has been the framing of educators as undeserving of parents’ trust. Recently, there has been an uprising in parental expectations for educators and the content of curriculum they implement. Spanish teacher Kathryn Buchter spoke on the harm of framing parents as equal players in education. ¨But being a student years ago does not make you a teacher now. It belittles our years of dedication, education and training to think that these two things are synonymous,¨ she said.

The proposed legislation would increase the burden on teachers to educate based on parental suggestions. Buchter spoke on the perspective educators hold regarding increasing parental interest. “I have already seen how the advancement of portals and constant access to grades has multiplied the stress of our students and parents considerably over the years. I can only imagine how much more pressure would be put on all players involved if parents were also given full access to the classrooms,” she said.

The insertion of livestreams in classrooms would meet the desire for parent involvement but come with the consequence of more stress placed on educators and students.

With parental involvement becoming a conservative electoral ideal, this bill brings light to the increasing connections between politics and education. Bill H.F. 2177 died Feb. 9 due to an interference with the planned subcommittee meeting, but the implications of the idea will continue through discussions and future conservative educational plans. 

Bill H.F. 2177, proposing live streaming cameras in all public education classrooms, has forever altered opinions surrounding parental and political engagement in the world of education.

$480
$1000