Connection over cash: The Boutique Boom

Caty+%2B+Rose+Market+is+a+small+local+boutique+located+on+Competition+Drive+that+specializes+in+graphic+apparel+and+women%E2%80%99s+fashion.+
Sidney Brockmann
Caty + Rose Market is a small local boutique located on Competition Drive that specializes in graphic apparel and women’s fashion.

While small businesses have generally been negatively impacted by the pandemic, some local businesses have been able to thrive despite the circumstances — specifically boutiques.

Throughout the past few years, several boutiques have found a home in Bettendorf, including Peaceful Style, Katsch, Funky Zebra, Caty + Rose, Red’s Threads and many others. The owners of these local boutiques have all fearlessly risen to the challenge of having their small businesses be a success, that is considering 50% of small businesses fail within the first five years that they are open.

Although starting a small business is demanding, entrepreneurs are driven by being able to provide products for their customers that embody whatever their precise vision is.

Mary Sievers and Jenny Montgomery are co-owners of Caty + Rose Market, a boutique located by TBK Sports Complex. “We initially were inspired to start our business through graphic apparel; we were looking for meaningful graphic apparel that actually inspired people, and that kind of represented our faith,” Sievers said. “We enjoy fashion and just helping people feel their best”. 

Because she is a small business co-owner herself, Sievers encourages people to support local businesses. “When you’re shopping at a local boutique, the money stays in this community. Jenny and I each have four kids, so for us it directly impacts our families… I think small business owners just have a really deep appreciation for people shopping with them,” she said. 

It can certainly be touching for consumers to be able to walk into a store, talk to the owner and make a personal connection with them. The shopping experience can be much more meaningful if there is a story behind the product. 

People are often morally incentivized to help out small businesses if they know their money is going to a real family rather than a billion-dollar corporation. 

Senior Elsa Gilbeck enjoys shopping locally and supporting small businesses, and she encouraged others to do so as well. “I prefer shopping locally because there’s often better selection, uniqueness and higher quality products,” she said. “I love supporting small businesses as they impact the community a lot.”

There is something special about walking out of a local boutique, rather than walking out of a department store. Like Gilbeck said, products from local businesses are unique. They are also not as easily accessible to everyone as department store products.

Oftentimes the success, or lack thereof, of small businesses dictates the owner’s income and how they are able to support their families. This makes it ever so important for business owners to succeed, and for consumers to support the local boutiques and businesses within their communities. 

$480
$1000