Twins born two different years

The new year rolls around, with millions of people counting down until 2017 has made an entrance. But that is not the case for the mom of the Shay family. On Dec. 31, Sawyer Shay was born at 11:51, but his twin brother decided he wanted to wait a little longer. Everett Shay was born at 12:01 on January 1st, 2017. The Shay family had a gut feeling the boys were going to be born on different days, and it turns out they were.

The Shay family already consisted of Holly Shay (mom), Brandon Shay (dad) and two daughters. “It was time to bring some testosterone in and balance the family,” says Shay. The twins were both born healthy, creating a very historic moment not only for the family but also for the Banner Thunderbird Medical Center in Arizona.

The years to come will be filled with bickering sons of the Shays arguing over who is older. But time shows son Sawyer was born first, ahead of Everett by 10 minutes. The even more unique part of Everett’s birth was the fact that he was the first baby to be born in the Banner Thunderbird Medical Center. “I have been at Banner for 25 years and I don’t recall this happening in our history,” said Jennifer Ruble.
The Shay family has had much attention on their beautiful little boys over the uniqueness of their births. Now they only hope to watch the boys grow into their own different personalities, hoping it will be easy because the twins are fraternal.