Ragged Records: Bringing back the old fashioned ways of music

Caity Burke
The inside of Ragged Records greets customers immediately with a variety of music genres in its physical form.

Music lovers are constantly rummaging for new artists, albums and songs. With ‘Ragged Records’ being one of the most favored vinyl shops in the Quad Cities, the community finds everything they need to enhance their music experience amongst the store. 

Bob Herington, a member of the Quad Cities, first opened the store in 2008 in downtown Davenport. Ragged Records consisted of over 30,000 new and used vinyl albums for sale, and thousands of CD’s. Depending on rarity or popularity, some records are sold at just five dollars. Herington mentioned to the QC Times that the ways of recycling, reusing and repurposing vintage items makes the world a healthier place. 

The environment of the shop holds a rejuvenating, exciting and upbeat tone. Music lovers are enticed by the numerous shelves stacked with different genres. The possibilities of music to be explored are endless.  

A shop employee, Jon Burns, expressed some of the highlights of his working environment. “At Ragged Records, we’re all diehard music fans ourselves, so we understand how it can be for our customers to find a new favorite band. We love talking ‘music’ with people and turning them on to something new we think they might like,” he said. “We appreciate the tangible quality of music in its physical format. To be able to hold it in your hands and look at the artwork and read the lyrics and liner notes definitely adds to the immersive experience of collecting music, it’s something you can’t get from a streaming service,” Burns shared.

For customers, it’s great to have those who care about their job helping their customers, as it immensely enhances the experience. The employees of Ragged Records appreciate the physical format of music just as much as any other music lover, creating a welcoming environment amongst the shop. 

The shop’s convenience applies to not just the old fashioned music lovers of older generations, but younger ones too. The rise of vintage belongings within younger ages has been influenced by social media platforms like Instagram and Pinterest, expressing the aesthetic of vintage objects. Music isn’t strictly enjoyed through mobile devices, record players have found themselves under the spotlight in recent years. This allows Ragged Records to thrive, becoming a popularized spot within all ages. 

Junior Muhan Basnet often enjoys the comfort of music, making Ragged Records one of her favorite shops. “When I’m feeling down, or in need of an inspirational spark, Ragged Records remains one of my top visiting spots. The spunky environment that gives me a sense of humbleness is such an amazing, familiar feeling. I’ve bought quite a few pieces of vinyl from the shop to use with my record player,” she shared, “I definitely agree that younger generations are adapting to older ways. It started off with fashion and music genres, and has even found itself wrapped in belongings that I’ve come to use daily.” 

Ragged Records has quickly become a beloved spot to visit when one is feeling inspired and ready to switch up their music taste. It provides the perfect outlet for younger generations to explore the old fashion ways. 

With the community growing, so does its variety. The Quad Cities has not failed to provide all types of exciting places for people of all interests to explore. Ragged Records deserves more recognition than received, and should become a staple in the lives of music lovers. Nothing is better than a welcoming, environment friendly, music shop.