The growth of sports books

Atharv Neema
Sports bars like Buffalo Wild Wings are known for their massive impact on the sports betting community.

In the past year, there has been a significant increase in the number of sports betting apps available and used by consumers. This trend is attributed to many factors, including the legalization and regulation of sports betting in various states and countries, the convenience and accessibility of mobile devices and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sports betting has been legalized and become more widespread due to court cases and legal actions, such as the Supreme Court’s decision in Murphy v. National Collegiate Athletic Association in 2018. This allowed states to legalize and regulate sports betting, leading to the launch of sports betting operations in states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. This has made it easier for people to bet on sports and increased sports betting app usage.

Sports betting has also become more prevalent in other countries around the world. The United Kingdom has had a well-established and regulated sports betting industry for many years and the market has grown recently. In countries where sports betting is legal and regulated, consumers can feel more confident that they are using a safe and fair platform, which may also contribute to the increase in sports betting app usage.

Another factor that contributed to the popularity of sports betting apps is the increasing convenience and accessibility of mobile devices. With the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, it has become effortless for people to use sports betting apps to place bets from anywhere within the legal states at any time. This is particularly appealing for people who may not have easy access to a traditional brick-and-mortar sportsbook or who prefer the convenience of placing bets from their own homes or while on the go.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has also impacted the usage of sports betting apps. With traditional sports events being postponed or canceled, many sports fans have turned to online betting as a way to stay engaged with their favorite sports. The ability to place bets from home without visiting a casino or sportsbook made sports betting more appealing to some people during a time when social distancing was practiced. Many sports betting operators have reported an increase in activity and revenue during the pandemic.

The sports betting industry has made significant efforts to market and promote its products to a broader audience. This includes partnerships with professional sports leagues, sponsorships of sporting events and advertising campaigns targeted at casual and dedicated sports fans. For example, FanDuel, a popular sports betting app, has partnered with the National Basketball Association (NBA) and Major League Baseball (MLB)as well as sponsoring events such as the College Football Playoff National Championship. 

DraftKings, another major player in the sports betting industry, has sponsored events such as the Major League Baseball All-Star Game and the PGA Championship. These partnerships and sponsorships can increase the visibility and credibility of sports betting apps and have contributed to the recent increase in usage.

In addition to traditional sports, the growth of Esports and other online gaming platforms has also provided new opportunities for sports betting. Many sports betting apps now offer a range of betting options for esports and other online games, which have helped to attract a younger, tech-savvy audience.

It appears that the sports betting industry’s efforts to reach younger audiences have been successful, as there has been an increase in sports betting among young high school students. Many of these students may be drawn to sports betting as a way to earn a quick return on their money, and see it as an easy and fun way to do so. This practice has led to many underage beting with many people under the age of 21. 

The convenience and accessibility of sports betting apps as well as the increasing legalization and regulation of sports betting have also contributed to this trend. While it is important to ensure that young people are aware of the risks and responsible gambling practices they are also underage, the law states that anyone under the age of 21 is not allowed to, it seems that sports betting has become an increasingly popular activity among this demographic.

An anonymous high school student at Pleasant Valley High School  uses sports betting apps and shared their reasoning for getting involved in betting apps: “I’ve always been passionate about sports and enjoyed following various games. When I started filling out March Madness and playoff brackets, I realized that I had a knack for predicting the outcomes of these events. This discovery led me to explore sports betting further,” they stated.

This sentiment is common among sports betters, as the thrill of potentially winning money can be highly motivating. Unfortunately, this risk-taking behavior can also lead to significant losses, as millions of dollars are lost by gamblers each year to sports betting apps and other platforms.

The anonymous student also highlighted the appeal of certain sports betting apps that offer high risk, high reward opportunities: “Apps like Fliff will match your initial deposit, so if you put in $100, they’ll double it to $200. This can be a very tempting offer for many people, and it can be easy to get hooked on the app after a win.” It is important for individuals to be aware of these types of promotions and to consider the potential risks and rewards before making any bets.

The sports betting industry has also made significant efforts to market and promote its products to a broader audience through partnerships with professional sports leagues, sponsorships of sporting events and targeted advertising campaigns.. While it is difficult to predict what the future will hold, the popularity of sports betting apps will continue to evolve and change over time.