PV Ceramics Club

Courtesy of Rory Hartley
Many Ceramics club members experiment with different glazes to make unique objects.

In October, Ceramics Club was formed as a place where students can use their creativity, engage with other students who enjoy art and learn how to make 3D objects out of clay. The club meets on Mondays and Thursdays after eighth period until 4:15 in Ms. Meyer’s room. PV art teacher, Ms. Meyers, teaches ceramics and sculpture classes. The club isn’t usually focused on certain projects, allowing students to express their ideas more creatively and have free studio time. However, the club occasionally works together to make group pieces such as pumpkins during Halloween.

Members of the club who haven’t taken a 3D art class are also taught how to throw on the pottery wheel. Wheel throwing is a technique that shapes clay and makes the finish of pieces such as a bowl or mug smoother. As a member of Ceramics Club, Junior Maggie Wanek has made bowls by throwing them on the wheel. “I enjoy throwing on the wheel because it makes my art pieces look more symmetrical. Many people think that throwing on a wheel can be a challenge, but once you throw a few times and sit in the correct stance, it becomes very natural and easy,” Wanek said. 

After a piece is thrown, it is put in a plastic covering so it becomes firm without drying out too much. The piece can then be carved to make it look cleaner and goes into the kiln, which fires the piece into stoneware so it can be glazed. This is a long step-by-step process that students learn how to do through the club with the necessary resources provided.

The Ceramics Club raises money by selling items such as candy grams. The money goes towards club materials and t-shirts. Recently, they were able to earn enough money to buy more clay and tools such as slab rollers and sculptors. 

Ceramics Club also gives students a chance to explore new ways of art and creativity in a calm environment after a long school day. For example, students have learned to experiment with different materials such as cloth or metal, along with clay to add texture and depth to their projects. Sophomore Rory Hartley is a regular member of the club. “I like Ceramics Club because it gives everyone an outlet for creativity that they might not get in the regular school day, “Hartley stated. Members of the club have made a variety of ceramic objects, from incense burners to life-size human skeletons. 

The possibilities are endless when it comes to molding and hand building products out of clay. The Ceramics Club welcomes everyone to come at any time, as it is not mandatory to participate from the start of the school year or every week. If people are interested in trying something new or just want to enhance their art skills, Ceramics Club is the place for them.