Boy Scouts becoming one

Building boats, learning safety skills, and helping others are all important parts of being a Boy Scout. Boy Scouts are boys that are part of something bigger; they belong to a second family. Boy Scouts was originally only available to boys, but with new generations come new groups of students wanting to be involved.

According to Boy Scouts.com, on Jan. 30, 2017, “We will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application.” Today transgender kids are allowed to join Boy Scouts, but it has not always been this way.

Washington Post reports, on Jan. 30, 2017, “Joe Maldonado was denied access to the Boy Scouts organization because he was born a girl.” There have been some concerns towards the Boy Scout organization regarding their religious values since this new statement of acceptance was released. Parents are questioning their values on religion and believe God should be taken out of their oath.

The Boy Scouts want young people to be prepared for life and to learn good, healthy morals. This program is not directed towards just boys anymore. Which means they are not discriminating against anyone wanting to join. With the Boy Scouts Organization allowing more kids to join, they are spreading the program and allowing more opportunities for children to make a difference in the world. The organization is surrounded by making good choices and wanting to help the community. The Boy Scouts would have been against themselves if they didn’t change their view on allowing transgender kids because everyone wants to help save the world.