The effects advertisements pose to our youth

Shivam Patel
Senior Abram Giese coming across an advertisement while scrolling on the social media platform Tik Tok

Today’s digital world allows people to communicate with others and access online content with ease. However, it also allows for producers to connect with people in the form of advertisements. This easy access to anyone online raises the question as to how these advertisements might affect an audience of teenagers.

The worldwide advertising market place is projected to reach a record high of $993 billion in revenue. The advertisement market is even projected to break this record again next year where revenue is predicted to reach $1 trillion. Rising advertisement revenue means increased exposure of advertisements, leading to more people being exposed to the effects of advertisements.

Research found one effect of advertisements to be the inability for younger viewers to distinguish between a persuasive advertisement and regular television. This can negatively affect the still developing minds of our youth.

Advertisements for alcohol and unhealthy food can push kids to develop unhealthy habits at a young age. Teenagers exposed to alcohol advertising have a higher chance of consuming alcohol before they are of age. Teenagers are also more likely to face childhood obesity due to commercials advertising unhealthy foods.

Senior Abram Giese recalled some of the ways different commercials impacted him. “I feel like I see advertisements everywhere constantly trying to get me to buy some new form of junk food. I know it is not the healthiest food, but sometimes I can’t help but try it,” Giese said. 

Oftentimes, advertisers use social media to reach the youth. Companies give influencers brand deals which they then advertise to their, often, younger audience. This can also negatively impact their viewers’ spending habits.

Junior Jack Perry commented on the impact of influencers in the advertising world. “When I see a product being endorsed by an influencer, for some reason I feel more willing to trust the product. Although, sometimes it is also quite difficult to tell whether or not the influencers are advertising or not,” he said.

Although the effects of advertising may seem concerning, there are ways to counter the negative effects. Acknowledging that someone has a goal of selling a product is the first step to averting the disadvantages that come with advertising.

Advertisements do not come without their benefits. They help inform youth about new products, services, and ideas. They also play a role in introducing youth to social issues, environmental causes, and health initiatives they would not have found otherwise. Combined with social media, advertisements can help youth stay up to date with the rest of the world.

Giese looked at advertisements in a similar light. “I do also think that advertisements are nice because they help viewers find certain deals or items that they may want. I personally also love to stay informed with current events and there have been quite a few times where advertisements have helped me with this,” he said.

Advertisements can also help youth embrace different cultures in the world. Advertisements that embrace culture and inclusivity of all can help youth learn to respect all regardless of background.

Even though the younger audience may have a more difficult time differentiating between a persuasive advertisement and regular television, advertisements can help them begin to understand the difference. Advertisements can help the younger audience understand economic principles such as supply and demand, helping them learn to navigate a world with increasing consumerism.

The digital world is full of advertisements which can have an impact on youth that views them. However, the impact can be both good and bad. Advertisements can help youth embrace inclusivity and be more in touch with the world. It is just important that they recognize persuasive advertisements in order to avoid the negative effects that come with them.

$580
$1000