Football Gameday Traditions: Bathrooms Rushes

Drake Hansen
Photo of the PV football team in a huddle during the Cedar Rapids Kennedy game.

In the United States, American football is the most popular sport by far, and highschoolers look forward to Friday football games all week.

Students love to get fired up for Football games for obvious reasons. The roars of the crowd, excitement of scoring a touchdown and game winning plays are exhilarating. No other sport at PV brings in as big of a student section as football.

However, the anticipation for Friday night football games doesn’t just start after school gets out. Players start preparing all week for the games, and the anticipation is always high on game day.

Bathroom rushes have become a common way for the football players to start getting fired up for the game during the school day. “I think it’s just a way for kids to have fun in school,” said junior football player Dom Kurtz. “They are in school 7 hours a day and it can get kind of boring sometimes.”

Players are not only trying to have fun on game days, but also keep a tradition alive at our school. However, the administration has been cracking down on the bathroom rushes and has been locking bathroom doors during some passing periods to prevent them from happening. This is done mainly to protect the other students in the hallways during passing periods.

Last Friday, junior Caitlyn Quinn was caught in the crossfire of one of these bathroom rushes. “It was very loud and unexpected and a lot of people pushing me at one time,” said Quinn. “I was really caught off guard.”

Some students can get caught in the crossfire of these bathroom rushes, but Kurtz has a possible solution. “I think the administrators could leave the bathroom in the cafeteria open because it is not as busy as the bathrooms in the English hallway.”

“I don’t think anybody would go out of their way to break something or hurt someone,” Kurtz continued. “They are just trying to get fired up to support the school and support everybody that is putting their heart out for the team.”

Winning games is obviously important to the players, and getting energy for Friday night games is important so they have the energy and excitement to play their hearts out. Administrators are not fond of the bathroom rushes and they try to prevent them by monitoring the halls better towards the end of the day. However, players will continue to try to keep up the tradition of bathroom rushes at PV.