Duck Bowl: Pleasant Valley’s newest club

Layout of a duck bowl field, with yellow circles representing hula hoops. Photo Credit to: Landen Garnica

People across the globe have always tried to come up with new sports or variations of sports. They are always wondering what the next big sport will be. This year, a student at PV thinks he has it: Duck Bowl. 

Duck Bowl was created by freshman Landen Garnica. It is played with two teams of 5, made up of an offense and a defense. The offense’s objective is to pass a duck back and forth amongst teammates trying to get to the other team’s side. There are hula hoops throughout the field and a player needs to try to toss it into them. The defense needs to try to stop them from doing this by attempting to intercept the duck before this can be done.  

The origins of this new sport date back to three years ago. “During the Easter holiday in 2020, the pandemic had just started and my sisters and I were wanting to make up a game because we just had each other to play with,” stated Garnica. “Before we knew it, Duck Bowl was born.”

The game was forgotten for a long period of time, but this year he brought it back and asked French teacher Abby Johnson to sponsor his club. “Landen came up and told me he wanted to start a club for a sport he invented, but needed a teacher to sponsor. He explained what it was and already had so many great ideas about what he wanted to do. He was so passionate about it from the beginning, I knew it was going to be good. Plus, it is such a unique sport, I had to say yes!” said Johnson. 

On Sept. 22, Duck Bowl club had its first meeting. A total of 13 people were in attendance, but Garnica is hoping for a larger turnout in future meetings. “I hope at least 3 more show up to the next meetings, we need refs and coaches and stuff like that.”

If worried about eligibility, anyone is welcome. “Duck Bowl is open to anyone, but the more athletic you are, it’s probably going to help the teams,” shared Garnica.

Garnica is hoping for more schools to join in order to allow for inter-scholastic competition. He is currently in talks with Bettendorf and Davenport to spread Duck Bowl around the Quad Cities. 

As of now, Duck Bowl meets every Friday. If you are interested in Duck Bowl, don’t hesitate to stop in room 260 for information or contact Garnica.