Reaching out and informing about Suicide Awareness Month

Shelby Brown
One of the various suicide awareness fliers scattered around the school.

September is known as Suicide Prevention Month. This marks the time of year for tough topics such as depression, anxiety and other mental disorders and illnesses to take the national spotlight. This month gives people a reminder to check in on loved ones and show support for those that might be struggling.

September has been the national month for Suicide Awarness since 2008. Often, suicide and other mental health issues are looked down upon, but this time allows a safe space for open discussion. During September, there might be survivors, those still suffering, mental health professionals and so on reaching out and spreading knowledge on a topic that would otherwise be ignored.

Studies have proven that the current rates of depression have been at an all-time high with teenagers. With an average of 2.7 million affected students, depression and other mental disorders have begun to claim more victims than before. Experts say preventing these negative thoughts can be as simple as reading a new book or doing physical activity, but how does this work?

All illnesses and disorders can be broken down on a chemical level. Depression for example, is an extremely common mental illness and can be explained through study and research. The cause is the absence of serotonin or dopamine. Eating foods that are both good for your body and brain produce dopamine and physical activities create endorphins. Dopamine is the chemical the body needs to improve moods and motivation while endorphins are used to reduce stress and pain. These two chemicals work together to make a sound and happy mind.

Other illnesses might be genetic or adapted and learned from someone’s environment  including friends, family, and coworkers. Although mental illnesses might not be as easy to get rid of as the flu, it is just as important the body receives the care it needs. Meditation, exercise, socialization, and so on are all things proven to not only grow the brain, but also make connections. Being an active person in a community and communicating with loved ones can increase good brain chemicals.

PVHS and the Scott County area offer many different extracurricular activities such as state-of-the-art sports teams and clubs, book club, art club and many more. 

Senior Taylor Covents, shared, “When I feel sad, I like to ride my bike to clear my head and eat Taco Bell. Those are the two things that always make me feel better.” Although she wasn’t included in any clubs or school sports, she mentioned it was enjoyable being in a place where so many are active in school activities. 

Feelings of sadness don’t just affect those in school or under the age of 18. Teacher Jim Russel, explained, “I feel sad sometimes, yeah. I usually go jogging or eat some ice cream from Whiteys. If I could be in a sport though, I would join basketball.” He said basketball was something he liked doing when he was in highschool and to this day, he still uses meals and activities to pump himself up.

Suicide Awarness Month is almost over, but the importance of mental health is not. No matter the day, reach out to someone struggling and keep in contact with loved ones.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, call 988 to reach the Suicide and Crisis Hotline.