P.E keeps students happy and healthy

Mixed opinions on Physical Education (P.E) have been passed around and rules vary from state to state. The state of Iowa has laws requiring physical education unlike other states. The state requires that “any and all able bodied persons will be required to complete P.E. classes in order to progress in school.”

PVHS has many students that complete the requirement in multiple ways such as early bird, school sports and weightlifting. Although some might argue this is unreasonable and unnecessary, it is an important part of everyday life. 

Having physical education classes promotes movement starting from an early age. It teaches students how to care for themselves and take control of their own physical health. Studies show increased movement has the ability to improve not only weight and motor skills, but also overall academic performance.

Having limited opportunities to interact with each other, P.E also promotes social interaction. This includes skills like leadership and empathy.

Students from PV had different views on the topic. Senior Josh— stated, “P.E is basically useless. It’s embarrassing and the activities the school offers aren’t things that everyone enjoys, only a select few.” — voiced his wishes for PV to provide activities that suite all types of bodies and capabilities. 

Another, (Grade) Landen— shared, “I really enjoy the class and everything we do in it. The games are always pretty fun. I  feel like the school doesn’t ask too much of the students.” — believes the games and challenges P.E are accomplishable and although sometimes difficult, the struggle was entertaining. It also gives him chances to see friends he wouldn’t be capable of communicating with in other classes. 

P.E can be enjoyed or disliked by anyone but having the ability to engage in physical activities is a privilege that many students don’t have. It can be used as a time to destress and refocus the mind on important things like work or studies. P.E also provides opportunities for those interested in sports to engage in something they enjoy.