Amnesty Club will foster change

An Amnesty Club meeting in session led by Swetha Narmeta, Nadia Meeks and Grace Marie Schmidt. Amnesty Club hopes to spread information and promote change for societal problems. Photo credit to Prerna

With the world is a place of many problems, students and Gen Z individuals feel as if they should be able to do more to combat crises happening locally, nationally, and even internationally. 

“I wish I could do more. I hear about so many problems going on in the news and I wonder what I can do to help them. But because of my age, it seems like no one takes me seriously, and therefore I can’t do that much.” stated junior Aayush Deshpande, an avid human rights activist. 

Amnesty International is a campaign group of over 10 million people in tens of different countries fighting to end the abuses of human rights and other problems affecting society. 

The Amnesty Club at Pleasant Valley was started by juniors Swetha Narmeta and Nadia Meeks. It focuses on bringing awareness to the multitude of problems faced by society to younger generations. Its goal is to support policies that encourage equality and prosperity around the world. 

For a teacher sponsor, Meeks and Narmeta asked English teacher Jenni Levora. “[Levora] is a nice lady and is very well informed on current events. It also helps that she’s an English teacher and can provide us with knowledge [others may not be able to],” Narmeta said.

Levora was overjoyed to start ma

king an influence around the community and accepted sponsorship. “These students came to me with a strong, focused plan designed to get PV students involved in human rights issues in the U.S. and the world.”

Right now, Amnesty Club is focused on changing literature in Iowa and around the nation. “Currently, we are focused on banned books and the controversy and problems surrounding that. The right to knowledge is a first amendment right.” explained Meeks, who feels as if this right is compromised when educational and important books about issues in society are censored.

In the future, Amnesty Club hopes to spread their influence to other places. “We hope to spread our banners to places outside the school and community. Afterwards, we hope to get into contact with government officials from this area. Hopefully then, we will be able to spread change.” Narmeta shared. 

The club averages about 15 members, and is hoping for more to help fundraising efforts. The more members PV’s Amnesty Club has, the greater change they are able to make. At PV’s homecoming carnival of Sept. 20, the club made friendship bracelets, sold them and made a profit of $108. 

Amnesty Club meets Wednesdays during 8th period in Levora’s room 186. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Narmeta, Meeks, or Levora.