Job Shadowing Openings For Upcoming Pre Med Students.

Contact+the+nearest+Genesis+medical+establishment+for+more+information+on+this+opportunity+
    Genesis West
    Contact the nearest Genesis medical establishment for more information on this opportunity

Recently, Genesis Hospital has recently opened up several job shadowing spots for future students interested in pursuing a future medical career. 

Job Shadowing has always been an underutilized tool available to students attempting the medical track, with most schools not requiring any shadowing hours in order to enter or graduate. 

Although most medical students shadow the job or position they are applying for in the future, only around 30.8% of students shadow extra available positions outside of their direct application according to the National Institute of Health. 

With less than a third of students applying for outside shadows, how would students know what path is truly right for them in a first person perspective? “I always thought I wanted to be a physical therapist, but after my shadowing experience I quickly realized that the position wasn’t for me” advice from Nurse Practitioner Amy Burkhart. 

The importance of stepping into the shoes of a medical professional cannot be understated, as doing so can radically change one’s life path, or solidify one’s resolve towards a certain goal.

Speaking of that, it has the opportunity to steer someone down the right path and provide them with a job that they enjoy and feel challenged or engaged by. “I am very interested in pursuing opportunities in pharmacy, I have been offered 2 year programs where I can see all different types of pharmacists and what they do, making the decision for myself for where I want to go” states Senior Brett Rippchen when deciding on his future career path. 

Some might be confused or skeptical about where to find these possible resources about shadowing, but the Genesis health system website contains massive opportunities for almost anyone willing to put in the effort.

Genesis itself has many different offers for multiple medical pathways including but not limited to, Intensive Care Unit, Neonatal Intensive Care,  Unit Operating Room, Cardiac Cath Lab, and the Behavioral Health Unit. Although, all of these resources are limited to those eighteen plus years of age and you must have a high school diploma to be available for these.

However, they even offer resources for those soon to graduate, the genesis mini lab is for all those ranging 14-18, to get a brief showcase of the medical community which showcases many different specialized fields and what they have to do. “The mini adventures youth opportunity is probably my favorite program we have, as I get to cut people open in front of a group of kids and see who doesn’t pass out” Dr. Burkhart comments about the genesis youth program.

This resource is always available for those looking for an early start and pathway into the medical field, at https://www.genesishealth.com/careers/job-shadow-student-coordination/