Hypersexualization of children in media reinforces perverse ideas in audiences

Muskan Mehta
The show “Full House” in which Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen played the character Michelle, who would soon be hypersexualized by audiences and media.

The issue of child sexualization is growing significantly in recent years, and has become increasingly prominent in the entertainment industry.

Young girls are placed in beauty pageants complete with makeup and bathing suits. Dolls marketed to 6 year-olds feature sexualized or revealing clothing, like fishnets. 

Unfortunately, this sexualization of minors, especially of girls, is disgustingly common and influences the way American society views children.

After former child stars spoke up about their experiences and called out producers, directors and co-stars for exploitation, attention was drawn to the media industry and their viewers. From the music and movie industry to advertisements, children are objectified by both onlookers and producers.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are just two examples of the myriad of countdowns dedicated to tracking the time before a minor reaches the age of adulthood. This perverse tradition has continued, if not increased, throughout the last decade. Actress Millie Bobby Brown, known for her role in Netflix’s “Stranger Things,” was another victim of this cycle as people counted down the days until her eighteenth birthday.

Although this Lolita complex is seen substantially in Hollywood, it does not stop there. Sophomore Annika Bhagwat recalled a recent TikTok controversy surrounding such syndrome. 

“People make a lot of creepy statements online, especially on TikTok. Middle-aged men comment on posts and videos of a girl doing something ordinary. The situation behind Jacquelyn Eleanor and her daughter was a prime example of it,” she stated. 

Eleanor seemed to be exploiting her 3-year-old daughter, Wren, by using her for profit. She videotaped her constantly and by doing so, Eleanor received a vast increase in followers along with millions of views, but not for the right reasons. Her daughter was subjected to strange and perverted and suggestive searches by users, like ‘Wren Eleanor hotdog.’

Bhagwat continued, “Although objectification of children stems from the viewers, there could be enforcements put in place for media companies in order to prevent contributions to the issue.”

Contemporary media continues to glamorize the sexualization of children to gain attention, increase recognition, and sell products. Their audience’s repulsive perspectives of children influence their approach to selling and entertaining. For reference, Loves Baby Soft, a vintage perfume brand, has sold their products with the slogan, “Because Innocence is Sexier than You Think.” The ad featured a young girl holding a teddy bear.

Forms of this media encourage harmful thoughts and ideas in children who grow up surrounded by it. Young girls could view themselves as sex objects and adult women are encouraged to infantilize themselves . 

Senior Ainsley Hindman reflected, “If children are exposed to sexualized depictions of minors, they will grow up thinking it is okay and acceptable. As a result, companies will produce more of this media and gain more viewers.”

And so the cycle continues.