Influencers traveling to new countries broadens viewers’ horizons

The experiences influencers have when traveling get passed along to their viewers. Photo credit to Vecteezy

In the ongoing cricket World Cup, the number of viewers watching the Pakistan v. India game hit staggering numbers and even broke a viewer record. During this event, many influencers from across the globe who traveled to attend this event recognized this game on their social media.

American YouTube and Twitch star IShowSpeed, for example, has a massive following on various social media platforms. During his trip to India, IShowSpeed attended and streamed the Pakistan v. India cricket game. This stream introduced the Western world to a whole new world of cricket in India.

Although many people living in the Americas might know what cricket is, they rarely experience the excitement, energy and adrenaline present while watching a cricket match. 

Through IShowSpeed’s stream, viewers living in America experienced these feelings secondhand. 

Junior Aayush Deshpande, whose father is an avid cricket fan, never had the enthusiasm to enjoy this sport. But Instagram reels changed his mind. “I saw numerous reels about IShowSpeed watching the Pakistan v. India match. Those reels inspired me to research more into cricket!” Deshpande exclaimed. “After that, I even watched a match with my dad.” 

Just like Deshpande, from a single stream, millions of viewers may have also found an interest in a sport from a foreign country. This spark may have also been a factor in the astonishing number of viewers of the Pakistan v. India game. 

Another example of this is American Twitch star Kai Cenat and his trip to Japan, where he streamed his whole trip. 

Sophomore Vrayas Pila watched the whole stream and described that along with the entertainment, it was a learning experience. “This stream introduced me to various cultural foods, expressions and customs in Japan,” Pila stated. “I learned a lot!”

Deshpande also watched this stream and described his learning experience. “I learned a lot about  the environmental awareness in Japan. It was spotless. Additionally, I learned a lot about common products and possessions that many Japanese people have.”

These events exemplify that influencers posting their experiences when traveling to foreign countries kindles interest in viewers. Not only that, but their trips expose viewers to different cultures and create more diversity in their thinking due to the new experiences they get from influencers.