Halloween risks

Ariana Assadi
A pumpkin carved under the supervision and with the help of Melisa Book.

Horror stories of tampered halloween candy are something every parent has heard and what every parent fears during halloween.

Every Halloween, many parents spend time looking through their children’s Halloween candy to see if it has been tampered with or looks suspicious. But most parents don’t start worrying until after their children are back home from trick-or-treating. 

Although it is good to be diligent in making sure there is no candy in your children’s bag that has been tampered with, there are many other dangers to be watching out for. 

One of these is car crashes. On Halloween night, car crashes can increase anywhere from 21% to 40%, averaging 25-35% in more recent years. Although many parents go trick-or-treating with their children, car crashes are not something that can easily be prevented. 

Taking children trick-or-treating in a more secluded area can help prevent being involved in an accident. If a person lives in a more populated area, making sure to keep an eye out for cars can help to avoid any crashes. 

A factor in the increase in car accidents  is alcohol. Alcohol consumption rises about 30% on halloween. This increases the amount of people who drive while intoxicated. In fact, 43% of all car crashes on Halloween involve someone with a BAC of 0.8 or higher. 23% of pedestrian deaths are caused by drunk drivers. “There are more car v. pedestrian accidents due to increased pedestrian traffic and increased alcohol consumption,” said ER nurse Linda Cheshier.

To stay safe, people must be aware of the danger that comes from Halloween. Approximately 3200 people are treated in the emergency room for Halloween-related injuries every year. 

44% of Halloween-related injuries come from pumpkin carving. Sharp objects are needed for the carving, and many parents do it with young children. This can lead to accidents if they are not paying attention to their kids. 

Pumpkin carving is a staple for the holiday, but people should still be cautious. Buying child-safe carving supplies or providing assistance can help prevent injuries related to pumpkin carving. “Me and my husband have a conversation with our children about how to use sharp tools safely,” said Melissa Book, the mother of two young children.

Halloween is a very fun holiday, but many dangers arise with the holiday. In order to prevent injuries, especially with children, it is important to stay diligent and make sure to be aware of what is going on.