Scholastic bowl club kicks off another year

Students this year are hoping to carry on the legacy of Scholastic Bowl, a club that Pleasant Valley High School has participated in for many years. 

Scholastic bowl competes in quiz-based competitions that test a student on a wide variety of academic subjects. The national competition is played in elementary school through high school on four continents.

The Scholastic bowl club at Pleasant Valley started as a place for academics to get together and practice skills. In competition, a teacher asks students a question, and  students buzz in and answer it as quickly as possible.

Although Scholastic bowl has been going on for many years, this year only four students have expressed interest in it. Even with such a small group of students, PV’s Scholastic bowl has been fourth in the state two years in a row. 

The members love it and wish more would join. “Scholastic Bowl has been going on for so long and we wish to carry on the legacy. Half of our club is leaving next year and we will need more participants,” said one of the presidents, Himanshu Jangid. Jangid believes his academics have been benefited by his participation in Scholastic Bowl.

The state competition will take place early next year. “This year there is going to be more competition. We study outside the club too and are locking in. If anyone wants to join, now would be the time to do so,” Jangid expressed. 

Member Shaha Bhugra also is interested in Scholastic Bowl and is on the team. “It’s a fun place to make friends. We learn things from each other and become smarter,” he stated.

Scholastic Bowl meets most Mondays in room 242. Interested students are encouraged to reach out to Ridenaur or Jangid.