New conservative agenda ‘Project 2025’ implements concerning changes to democracy and society

Donald Trump campaigning and meeting his supporters at the Iowa v. Iowa State game on September 9, 2023. Photo credit to Jayden Fairweather

With approximately one year until the next presidential election, Donald Trump and his associates have started dominating the polls in nearly every battleground state

In response to the popularity of newer conservative values, the Heritage Foundation created The Presidential Transition Project or Project 2025: a plan to reshape the executive branch of the U.S. government in light of a Republican win in the 2024 presidential election. 

Based in Washington D.C., the Heritage Foundation is a leading organization in the conservative movement aiming to promote right-wing public policy. Project 2025 is a 920-page Presidential Transition Project which seeks to further Trump’s agenda within the government by placing the Executive Branch under full presidential control. 

But this would completely undermine the purpose of the U.S. Constitution. Checks and balances ensure that each branch has an equal decision and role regarding laws and their enforcement. 

The Heritage Foundation’s plan instead leaves the country in the hands of just one person.

To conform with Republican ideals, the project proposes amendments and regulations regarding issues like climate change and LGBTQ rights. 

Project 2025 does not suggest any strategies or solutions to the prevention of climate change and instead would negate the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) concerns and regulations regarding carbon dioxide emission. 

Senior Lauren Kathan recognized the dire implications of this report. “If there is a Republican win in 2024, the federal government will not be able to regulate greenhouse gas emissions. With no prevention measures, there will be severe consequences,” she explained. 

Climate change is one of the biggest threats humanity faces. Through pollution, warming and severe weather, the future of humanity is at risk. Project 2025 jeopardizes the Earth and its inhabitants, allowing global warming to continue and worsen. 

Adding on to the pressing concerns, The Presidential Transition Project embraces anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and uses dehumanizing language when referring to transgender and queer people. They are never referred to as people, but rather an idea that needs to be terminated. 

The Heritage Foundation’s Vice President, Roger Serverino, claims discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender and sex to be occasionally acceptable. 

The Republican party has endorsed the messages and actions stated in the 920 pages. However, Trump and his associates have not publicly spoken about this plan, since such controversial and extremist views are only subtly interwoven in conservative propaganda to ensure support for Trump in the upcoming election.

Senior Rese Bailey speculated about the outcome of the Presidential Transition Project. “Presidents often use their first 100 days in office to prove their capacity for action and implement their agenda. If Project 2025 is put in effect, Trump will have accomplished a considerable amount.”

Bailey continued, “But, I think executing such plans would require a great deal of amendments and change that I do not believe the federal government is capable of.”

Despite the indeterminate result of Project 2025, the nation’s fate rests on the outcome of the upcoming 2024 election. It is up to the citizens to decide what future they desire for America.