Breaking barriers: The plethora of female leaders in The Spartan Shield prove imminent change in the field of journalism

2023-2024 Publications all-female team attends annual IHSPA conference.
Prerna Vanga

Journalists are vital to today’s society. Female journalists are even more crucial to cover the diversity presented in the world.

Only 46% of professional journalists are female, demonstrating that the field is one of many where men occupy the majority of positions— even against higher educated women.

Maureen Dyer, Pleasant Valley’s journalism advisor, acknowledges the inequalities in journalism. “The field of journalism has gender disparity just as most fields do. The interesting thing about that disparity in journalism is that women usually outnumber men while studying the field, but men still make up the majority of professional journalists,” Dyer explained.

The Spartan Shield staff tells a different story.

This year’s publications staff is made up of 16 girls. This all-female team has put out two editions and is advancing The Spartan Shield’s achievements. In addition, the 2023-2024 publications leadership team is made up of all females: Jae Jepsen, Celia Brown, Ayah Alsheikha, Sophia Foad and Grace Ludwig. 

“Our class has been really inspiring to me, as a journalist, because it has been really great to see the growth in the journalistic perspective,” Foad continued. “Being able to bounce ideas off of each other makes our class a good environment, where we all feel safe around each other.”

This trend is not only seen through this year though. In past four years, The Spartan Shield has been overwhelmed by the diverse 

As female editors-in-chief lead the way for other journalists, they also guide their staff to success. At this year’s Iowa High School Press Association Journalism (IHSPA) conference, Pleasant Valley’s publications won All Iowa News team of the year and Class C Yearbook of the year, along with numerous other yearbook awards.

“While I would love to have a balance representing the publications for reasons of perspective, I couldn’t be prouder of the work the women behind the Shield produce,” continued Dyer. “The student journalists at PV understand the importance of good journalism and are incredibly driven to deliver their truths.”

The rise of women in journalism starts in high schools. By promoting strong work ethic and encouraging exemplary reporting, female role models in high school publications are pivotal to the future of journalism.

Dyer is hopeful that gender inequality in journalism is on its way to resolution. “Things are improving… While the overwhelming majority of reporters covering sports are male, females have made important leaps and bounds in the last handful of years,” she said.

No matter what the future of journalism holds, The Spartan Shield is proud to be represented by dedicated female leaders.