Winter sports bring back PV student section traditions

Seniors+Kyle+Almgen+and+Tyler+Nels+hold+up+their+personalized+blue+crew+jerseys+after+they+were+handed+out+on+Dec.+12.+
Cole Halupnik
Seniors Kyle Almgen and Tyler Nels hold up their personalized blue crew jerseys after they were handed out on Dec. 12.

As winter sports start up, PV’s students are getting ready for varsity basketball. With this comes huge changes in the student section, one being the use of blue crew jerseys. 

Blue crew jerseys have been an annual tradition at PV. Seniors are able to create their own nicknames and choose the number for the back of their jerseys. “There’s a character limit of 15, but other than that you can be pretty creative with your name,” exclaimed senior Kyle Almgren. 

Student section leader and senior Johnny Ziegelbein organized the jerseys and ordered them from High Tech Signs. 

“It was actually a pretty long process. First I had to figure out where we were buying the jerseys from, and once I decided on High Tech Signs I called them to get all the information I needed,” explained Ziegelbein.

“I put together a google form to collect jersey names and numbers and posted it on social media. I made the form spit out all of the answers into google sheets, and people had the option to pay through venmo or pay me in cash,” continued Ziegelbein. 

With 66 students ordering jerseys, this took lots of time to organize. However, the blue crew will be worth it with the student section changes that come with winter sports.

During the football season, the student section is divided into 3 parts with the  underclassmen standing in the upper level of the stadium and the upperclassmen taking up the two sections of stands below them. Along with this, the frontline often stands in between these sections and starts cheers. 

Some students, such as senior Wylie Porter, were disappointed in the student section this year. “We were all spread out and just didn’t seem very loud during football games. I feel like the frontline didn’t start many chants and we just weren’t coordinated,” said Porter. 

Many students are more excited about this year’s basketball season, as the games provide a different energy in the bleachers. 

For basketball games, students all stand in the same section of seats. Additionally, the PV marching band sits right next to the student section and sets an upbeat mood. 

Blue crew jerseys also play a role in this new energy, as the student section becomes more unified at the basketball games. All of the seniors can stand in the front to hype up the rest of the students and show off their matching jerseys.