Secularization of Christmas transforms it into an inclusive and joyous holiday for everyone

Muskan Mehta
Christmas presents pile up in front of the tree in a non-Christian household.

Christmas is celebrated differently across both the United States and the world, reflecting diversity in customs and traditions. This festive season transcends cultural boundaries, making it one of the most popular holidays in America. 

While the core of the day revolves around the birth of Jesus Christ, not all families follow the same theme. 

Senior Shivesh Ganesh does not hold Christian beliefs, yet Christmas is taken very seriously in his household. “Every Winter, my family does a secret santa and white elephant. At the end of the season, the stacked presents almost cover half of the tree,” he described.

Ganesh continued, “It’s a chance to buy our family things with an actual reason. We may not be Christian, but the holiday brings my family together, making it even more special than any religious roots.”

Gift-giving and family-time have secularized the meaning of Christmas. The sense of togetherness and desire to strengthen familial bonds have become the central themes of the celebration. A poll showed that the percentage of people who viewed their celebrations as “strongly religious” dropped by half to 35% in the past five years. 

Even within Christian families, there is variance between customs, especially throughout the world. 

Foreign-exchange student Sofie Mousing Hansen noticed a few differences in how her family celebrates Christmas in Denmark. “It’s tradition in my country to hold hands and walk and dance around the ornamented tree. I know it sounds corny but it’s what we do. It’s also conventional to celebrate on the eve, rather than the 25th,” Mousing Hansen explained. 

Mousing Hansen’s Christmases may commemorate Christ, but they’re still not solely revolved around religion. This festivity has become a time for enjoyment, incorporating countless new or different traditions and practices. 

Similar to Ganesh, Junior Ella Welch simply enjoys the atmosphere of Christmas-time. “Granted that I’m Christian, my family never treats Christmas in a religious fashion. The snow, the holiday songs and movies are what I look forward to each year. My ideal day is to bake cookies and watch cheesy Hallmark films with my friends and family,” Welch described. 

The aesthetic of December has become significantly popular. From decorating the tree with homemade ornaments to listening to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You,” it is a nostalgic time. 

Although the heart of the holiday remains the same, Christmas has become a day for everyone, no matter their religion or belief.