Gym culture among teens: the new found popularity in weight-lifting

Alex Blunk
The Bettendorf YMCA is a place where people can come to exercise and participate in fitness activities.

In recent years, teens have been drawn to the gym like insects to a light and have created a new and young presence in gyms across the country.

The popularity of gyms across the country has skyrocketed and teens seem to be more interested than ever in joining the gym community. It seems that boys and girls are categorically affected by this and Gen Z may have a lasting impact on the fitness industry.

Whether people join a gym to get in shape, stay healthy or any number of other reasons, teens seem to grow attached to how they feel in the environment. “I love spending time lifting, it feels like home for me and a place where I am able to become a better version of myself,” said senior Dan Starkenburg.

Many young males are influenced by social media and are drawn into the gym by the people that they see online. Popular influencers such as Sam Sulek or the Tren Twins are prime examples of influencers that teens may look up to and admire for their work ethic and drive in the gym.

Many teens who lift set big goals and aspirations for themselves in the gym. It is a great feeling to continuously improve lifts and grow as a lifter and a person. “The gym has taught me a lot as I have grown inside of it. I have hit new personal bests, developed a strong work ethic and met new people along the way,” said senior Ethan Crowley.

These goals can include things such as gaining muscle mass to improve the body, bring clarity to the mind through lifting, create a better lifestyle to stay healthy and more. The gym can teach younger people many lessons about themselves and create a lifestyle that can be carried on throughout their whole life.

Lifting can take hold of people’s lives and create new lifestyles and personalities. “I can never wait to get back in the gym, I always strive to make big improvements to my lifts and go heavier and heavier each time I step into the gym,” said senior Logan Vidmar.

Fitness and exercise is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. It can help prevent disease, grow the body, help improve ability to do everyday activities and most importantly improve physical and mental health. A regular gym membership provides an area where any person can participate in any degree of fitness.

Lifting culture has stemmed from the fitness industry and created its own brand. Teens are drawn to the idea of the results and benefits of lifting which has helped create a new wave of gym goers.