Black Friday: The holiday of overconsumption

Amazon is an online retailer many people use for their purchases during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Some of the deals on Amazon last longer than others, so customers have to act fast if they want a deal on their purchase.

On Black Friday each year, 122.7 million Americans open up their laptop or hop in their car, hoping to chase down the best deals of the year. This frenzy may seem like a productive day, getting holiday shopping out of the way or buying items on their wishlist. Still, many don’t concern themselves with the impact their in store or online purchases have on the environment and their own finances. 

Black Friday takes place during the last quarter of many brand’s business years. Most businesses rely on the last quarter of the year to account for a large portion of their yearly sales with Black Friday and holiday gift shopping. This leads many companies to create a much larger advertising budget to ensure they meet sales standards and keep pace with their competitors. 

PV teacher Lynne Lundberg noticed big businesses do not always have the consumer’s best interest in mind. “I understand businesses want to make money and that the last quarter of the year is when a lot of their money is made. But I do think encouraging overconsumption is short sided, because if you encourage overconsumption then the people who are spending money now won’t have it to spend later. So, long term it is a problem,” said Lundberg.

Numerous people continue to overconsume because they believe the goods they own translate to their value as a person. This creates a continuous cycle of spending, and oftentimes, one Americans cannot afford to make themselves feel worthy. Sometimes, people use credit cards to purchase necessities while others use their credit card for unnecessary items. The common misuse and overuse has led the United States to an outstanding 930 billion dollars in credit card debt, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on February 11th, 2023.

Many Americans do not overspend out of their own desire, but because of the masterminds behind large businesses advertising. Companies hire superior marketing directors to convince people their product is a necessity. 

To do this, advertisements are created that include certain techniques and details meant to to incite people to open their wallets. These advertisements trigger dopamine responses, making an individual feel like purchasing a product is a reward to themself, and in the process, creating a cycle of overspending and overconsuming. 

The biggest concern of businesses is making revenue, so they will not advise against the poor financial decisions customers make on Black Friday. “It is not about cooperating with the consumer so the consumer can have a better life. It’s about getting as much money out of the consumer’s pocket as possible. That is the goal,” said Lundberg.

Thoughtless spending has larger implications than a negative impact on personal finances. Overconsumption during Black Friday leads to online spending and returns that harm the environment.

Junior and Environmental Club leader Ayah Alsheikha, explained the importance of thoughtful purchases. “Brands are willing to stray from their own brand image just to fulfill trends. These brands capitalize these trends and try to maximize their profits by being trendy without thinking about the long term impacts because they want to fit in with the here and now, not where the piece of clothing will go five months from now,” said Alsheikha. 

Is there a way to shop sustainably on Black Friday?

Black Friday inherently promotes overspending, so it can be difficult to avoid it even if one enters a store or goes online with the mindset to not overspend. This is especially prevalent when deals are only present for a short period of time.

“The problem that I see with Black Friday as a whole is that moment where you want to get the best deal on the thing you are going to buy. One thing you could do is to comparison shop. But, the point of Black Friday sales is to entice you by making it so you have to spend the money now, because the deal won’t be available later. The whole situation is structured to put the consumer into a spend now or else mindset,” said Lundberg. 

If one is planning to shop on Black Friday, it can be a good time to get deals on necessities that would be bought either way. 

Black Friday is also seen as a time to purchase presents at a discounted price. However, with  42% of Americans regretting their Black Friday purchases, it is essential to have a list. 

“A good way to go into Black Friday is with a list. I think what happens a lot of times, people will go and they see things they think they need and instinctively buy them. A lot of rush comes along with Black Friday so they make a lot of [impulsive] purchases they will later regret,” said Alsheikha. 

Another common alternative to Black Friday is Green Friday. One of the best ways to holiday shop while putting sustainability at the forefront is to patronize sustainable brands. These can be local brands, second-hand shops, handmade items, like on Etsy or brands like Patagonia who pledge to donate profits to environmental causes.

There are more sustainable ways to go about Black Friday than buying from brands who prioritize profit over sustainability. 

However, this does not discard the fact that Black Friday promotes unhealthy purchasing habits and has harmful environmental effects. This next Black Friday individuals should consider shopping sustainably.