New methods adopted to fight pet euthanasia

Hope+is+a+nine+week+old+Plott+Hound+rescue+from+Texas.+She+is+happily+living+with+her+new+family+in+Iowa.+
Jessie Clemons
Hope is a nine week old Plott Hound rescue from Texas. She is happily living with her new family in Iowa.

The overpopulation of stray dogs and cats is not a new problem. Since the 1900s it is common to see dogs wandering or begging for food on the streets. This is in part due to the fluctuating euthanasia and adoption rates across the country.

In 1959, it was estimated there were only about 350 active shelters in the U.S, and in 1973, it was estimated that 13.5 million dogs and cats were euthanized in shelters with over 90% of incoming dogs and cats killed. 

After this information was publicized, local and state governments made strides to reduce the euthanization of shelter animals. One way they tried to lessen the problem was by enforcing the licensing and sterilization of dogs and cats. 

These efforts were successful, and from 2009-2017, there was a statistically significant increase in adoption numbers and a decrease in euthanasia rates. 

But have these efforts been enough? 

COVID-19 had positive and negative effects on dog adoption and euthanasia rates. In 2020, 44.5% fewer animals were euthanized nationwide, breaking records. 

This improvement was short lived, however, with Covid restrictions pausing spay and neuter surgeries, increasing the total population of dogs and cats.

The pandemic also caused increased housing instability, which led to more pets entering shelters and adoption rates falling. 

As of Sept. 2023, the national average euthanasia rate was 9.2% with New Mexico, Louisiana and Alabama all exceeding 15%. The national average has risen about 3% since 2021. 

Addie Menke and her family have fostered dogs for about eight years. They frequently receive dogs from states in the south to help with their overpopulation issues. “We foster dogs because we know how bad the animal rescue world is right now. Down south especially there are too many dogs and cats that aren’t fixed and not vaccinated,” explained Menke.

But what can be done?

There are many ways to support local animal shelters. Photo credit to Canva.

The most effective strategy is to adopt rather than purchasing them from breeders. Adopting opens space and resources for new animals. Missy Clemons recently adopted a nine week old Plott Hound, Hope, from Texas. “Hope is a beautiful little girl. She’s a rescue and was found dumped in Texas with her litter mates,” said Clemons.

Fostering is the next best option. Fostering frees up space in shelters and teaches the animals how to live in a house with humans. 

Volunteering is also beneficial. Volunteering helps alleviate the strain of staff shortages and exposes shelter animals to new people. Clemons volunteered multiple times at animal shelters in North Carolina. “When I lived in North Carolina, I volunteered frequently at an animal shelter. That’s where I adopted my first dog, Abby,” said Clemons. 

People can also volunteer to transport animals. Transporting animals relieves overcrowded shelters and puts animals in shelters with room to spare. 

Donations are also an impactful way to support shelters. Shelters always need money and resources. Supporting shelters on social media is also a great way to help. As social media is this decade’s best way to spread information, sharing videos of the animals on social media is very effective for raising support and awareness for the shelters.

Since 1960, there have been incredible strides in decreasing euthanasia rates and increasing adoption across the nation. The issue is under much more control than it was, but communities in the U.S. need to continue to advocate for those who cannot advocate for themselves. 

COVID-19 was a set back that our society hasn’t recovered from yet. Showing support to animal shelters and rescues is extremely important and will stop the upward trend of euthanasia in the U.S.