Coincidences and a collectiveness of disconnection of Social Issues

A locker with repeating numbers commonly referred to as ‘angel numbers’ 
Credit:Shelby Brown
    A locker with repeating numbers commonly referred to as ‘angel numbers’ Credit:Shelby Brown

Everyday, there is a chance for anything humanly possible to happen. Although it might only have a small probability of occurring, almost anything is possible. Occasionally, events will overlap in an unexpected way and cause beliefs in superstitions.

Even though life is full of coincidences, these can be taken as signs and turned into something that isn’t real., Frances Dumbar defined an important term. “Synchronicity is when two events take place coincidentally and in turn, a connection between the two is created.” 

Synchronicity is as simple as assuming the way a TV works despite not knowing how it’s actually happening. The reason this happens is because the brain craves answers to problems that aren’t even detected as problems, which is also how indulgence in certain unproven beliefs happens.

Angel numbers are a common practice between people in new generations. The idea that seeing repeated numbers is spiritual can’t be proved or disproved but the reason is much easier to explain. When the eyes focus on a set of numbers that seem to have significance, the brain begins to search for the same pattern in everything and because numbers are everywhere, it’s fairly easy.

In major cases, others can join groups of others who create the same sychconcities as they do. A common example of this being a movement named Qanon. This group of people, while neither right or wrong, create situations and connections without solid evidence. This can be dangerous because it results in outbreaks much like the storming of the capital in 2021.

While it isn’t necessarily a bad thing to draw conclusions, the actions taken because of them can be. The current idea going on being that the Israel-Hamas war is a direct prediction from the Bible describing the rapture. Many have begun to assume that because the two have similarities it entails the end of the world and the return of Jesus.

Ann Berger, Psychology teacher, explained, “The need for explanations is biological. We feel as though we need to understand everything so sometimes we create solutions that make no sense.” The starting point of everything known now stemmed from curiosity and a need to explain something that was unexplainable. The truth is, not everything has a direct answer or even an explanation at all.

Although it might be tempting to find reasons and connections between unlikely events, the truth is, there will not always be a truthful answer available. It is important to understand a topic fully before creating an explanation that might not be completely true.