Regional Bound: Pleasant Valley High School Ethics Bowl team sweeps top three spots at state competition

Ashwin Parab
The 20204 Ethics Bowl team celebrates after the state competition

Emerging from the state competition as the undeniable frontrunners, the Pleasant Valley Ethics Bowl team returns home with a full podium sweep. This finish extends PV’s dominance in Ethics Bowl competitions for the past 3 years. 

This year’s competitors  had limited  experience when they began, but now the teams demonstrate a noticeable shift in experience as well as membership. 

Lynne Lundberg is the advisor and teacher in charge of the Ethics Bowl teams.Lundberg has been teaching ethical frameworks and moral questioning to students for many years but has only recently entered the world of Ethics Bowl. Under her mentorship, the Ethics Bowl team has seen impressive success this year, clinching a first, second, and third-place result. Now they progress to the regional competition.

After a season where the team reached the national level, many wondered if this year’s Ethics Bowl team would be able to meet their expectations. After losing a majority of their team members when they graduated, many had doubts about whether they could recuperate their loss in membership. Coming into the 2023-24 year there were only two seniors from the previous Ethics Bowl team, but through the hard work of the upperclassmen, the advisor and the new members, Ethics Bowl dispelled any of the doubts people had. 

The Ethics Bowl team isn’t satisfied yet though. Veteran Ashwin Parab, a current senior, believes in this team. “We’ve been working hard meeting multiple times a week getting ready for regionals, and a lot of new members have been stepping up into leadership roles. I know that if we keep it up we have a good chance of making it to Nationals.”

Lundberg says that she is confident in the Ethics Bowl teams this year and believes in their ability to go the distance. “This year’s team has done a great job and the success has been quite striking. I’m optimistic that they have a very good chance at coming through the regional competition,” she said. She also wishes for the future success for the PV teams once she departs from her position as teacher, and consequently advisor to the team, at the end of the year. 

While Lundberg may be leaving her position as an advisor to the Ethics Bowl team, current members such as Parab say that future teams will surely find their own success, “I’m excited to see what the team will do next year. With junior and sophomore members stepping up, the future of PV Ethics Bowl is in good hands. Additionally, Ethics Bowl’s recent success is also gaining traction at school, which is why I’m sure we’ll get new members.” He says that the current juniors will contribute heavily to building the team and hopes that Ethics Bowl can become what it meant to him for others.