Sticky business: Young female slime entrepreneurs are redefining business norms

Alene Keppy
Making slime can be a messy, yet valuable process. Snoopslimes sales hit a staggering $11 million in 2022.

In the ever-evolving landscape of entrepreneurship, a unique and unexpected trend has emerged: slime. What started as a childhood pastime has transformed into a thriving business niche, and it’s the creative minds of young women that are leading the charge.

Female entrepreneurs in the slime industry are breaking traditional stereotypes, proving that business success knows no age or gender. These young women have embraced their creative talents and turned them into lucrative ventures, challenging preconceived notions about the types of businesses young women can excel in.

Perhaps most inspiring about these young business owners is their ability to build a brand from scratch. Armed with homemade slime recipes and a keen sense of aesthetics, these entrepreneurs have leveraged social media platforms to showcase their products, tell their stories, and connect with a global audience. Through dedication and entrepreneurial spirit, they have cultivated brands that resonate with fans worldwide.

Jungmin Kang, founder and CEO of Snoopslimes, started her slime business when she was just 13 years old. In 2017, Kung used her $200 allowance to start an Etsy slime shop. Snoopslimes sales quickly skyrocketed once Kang started posting ASMR slime videos on her Snoopslimes Instagram, which currently boasts over 1.8 million followers.

At 18 years old, Kang was listed as a member of the 2023 Forbes “30 Under 30”; Kang currently employs 40 people, and Snoopslimes sales hit a staggering $11 million in profits in 2022.

Senior Luci Patel has purchased multiple slimes from Snoopslimes. Patel believes that the business’ success can be attributed to the fact that slime appeals to a large, diverse audience.

“Slime caters to both kids looking for a creative outlet and adults looking for stress relief. I enjoy playing with slime because it is relaxing and satisfying… I specifically buy slimes from Snoopslimes because they are unique and high-quality,” Patel explained.

Whether she is making posts on the Snoopslimes Instagram or mixing up a new batch of funfetti cake slime, Kung operates her business with a mission– she hopes to inspire a new generation of entrepreneurs.

“As a young POC woman in the business world, one of my focuses is to bring more representation to those similar to my background, and empower other teenagers to chase their dreams of becoming an entrepreneur. Snoopslimes is my creative outlet as I am able to bring my ideas to life through slime… I want to inspire others to be driven and determined with what they are passionate about,” Kang shared on the company’s website.

Perhaps the most significant impact of female slime business owners is the inspiration they provide to the next generation of entrepreneurs. Young girls can see firsthand that their hobbies, creativity, and unique interests can be transformed into viable businesses. The success stories of these entrepreneurs serve as beacons of encouragement, inspiring young minds to dream big, take risks, and embrace their entrepreneurial spirit.

Senior Celia Brown, founder of The Disco Club, believes that it is extremely important for young women to have female entrepreneurs to look up to.

“I was inspired [to create The Disco Club] by all of the small business owners on social media… Social media has made it easier to find anyone your age succeeding or pursuing a similar interest to you. Seeing someone else accomplish something first shows you that you can do the same and succeed no matter your age,” Brown said. 

Female slime business owners are not only making a mark in the business world but are also reshaping perceptions and inspiring the next generation of entrepreneurs. Their journeys exemplify the power of passion, creativity, and community in forging successful businesses. As these young women continue to thrive in the slime industry, they leave an indelible mark on the entrepreneurial landscape, proving that innovation knows no bounds when fueled by determination and creativity.

$580
$1000