Wendy’s rolls out surge pricing, sparks concern about fluctuating fast food costs

Jaydon Kachappily
The cost of living has only gone up and will soon be to costly for teenagers especially.

Popular fast food chain Wendy’s has been in hot water recently over rumors regarding potential plans to implement a surge pricing strategy into their businesses. 

Surge pricing is a dynamic pricing method to respond in real time to fluctuations in customer demand and behavior. It was most commonly seen in ride-sharing apps, but now it’s making its way into the world of fast food. 

While surge pricing was originally intended to manage customer flow and optimize revenue, this move has sparked controversy among diners. Many argue that if the cost of your meal can go up or down depending on how busy Wendy’s is at the time, this would cause multiple problems.

Wendy’s defends surge pricing as a necessary step to manage demand and enhance operational efficiency, but critics argue that it prioritizes profit over customer satisfaction. 

Senior and FBLA member Nikhil Behere agrees with the reasoning Wendy’s uses but disagrees with the idea regardless.“[Surge pricing] could be good for Wendy’s, but I don’t think they should do it,” he said.

The introduction of surge pricing represents a departure from traditional fast-food pricing models and raises questions about the future of affordability in the industry.

For high schoolers, many of whom rely on part-time jobs to supplement their income, Wendy’s surge pricing presents a new financial challenge. Accustomed to budgeting for fixed prices, they would now be navigating fluctuating costs that can vary throughout the day. 

This unpredictability adds another layer of complexity to their already tight budgets and planning meals around off-peak hours or seeking alternative dining options may become the norm for those looking to avoid inflated prices. 

Senior Aedan Burkhart says that the current business standard is already bad enough and, “If other companies followed [Wendy’s] plan then I don’t even know if I would be able to reliably afford something.” 

But what happens if other businesses decide to adapt this strategy? 

Will surge pricing become the new norm, reshaping how we think about fast food? Right now, the future of surge pricing in different franchises is still unknown, but what it represents could bode badly for the average consumer.