Hydration Club takes PV by storm

The PVHS Hydration Club began this fall and sparked more interest than anyone could have imagined.
Nikhil Behere
Club President Matt Pischke shows off his favorite hydration technique. Photo Credit to: Barb Pischke
Pleasant Valley Senior quenches thirst for new club

From the depths of one Pleasant Valley student’s mind, a new club has emerged. Students are overflowing with excitement about the new Hydration Club.

Founded by senior Matt Pischke, Hydration Club is the first of its kind at PV. “I wanted to create and share my passion for hydration and water with the rest of the school, so the easiest way to do that was to start a club, hence Hydration Club was created.”

Pischke understands Hydration Club is unconventional, but he believes it is just as important to school as curriculum-based clubs. “It allows students to come together and for students to meet and talk and experience their passions. I think allowing them to do it within school where they are all in the same place at the same time is very important. School can be very stressful at times, so allowing students to have an outlet in the form of a club can be very important,” he shared.

Barb Pischke, a sponsor of Hydration Club, emphasized the importance of ‘fun’ clubs, stating “It’s absolutely important for kids to have an outlet to relieve stress, and if that is what Hydration Club does, so be it. We need a chance for kids to get together and have a good time and a chance to just be kids.”

Matt’s goals for the club include bringing together the community, spreading positivity about water, teaching students how to hydrate properly and educating the health benefits of water. The club offers more excitement than just lessons; they plan to host interactive activities like ranking the school’s water fountains.

Students like senior Achinteya Jayaram are intrigued about the club’s unique mission and purpose. “I didn’t know if Matt was just joking, but he explained the concept to me. I thought that it sounded like a serious enough club that I would join it,” he said.

The club creation process involved three steps: filling out paperwork, getting student signatures and waiting for approval from Principal Mike Hawley. For Matt, “The hardest part was the waiting game.” Hydration Club received over 50 signatures from students, doubling the amount recommended before club submission.

The club already established an executive committee and plans to utilize social media to reach members. Details on the first meeting will be pouring in soon.

Photo Story: Hydration club has record attendance at kick-off meeting
Voices of the Valley episode #41: All about hydration