From stigma to support: Normalizing menopause and prioritizing women’s health

Alene Keppy
Marking the end of a woman’s fertility, menopause can bring about various physical and emotional changes.

Menopause is a natural biological process marking the end of a woman’s reproductive years, typically occurring in her late 40s or early 50s. Despite its universality, menopause remains shrouded in stigma and misinformation. 

Menopause often brings a plethora of symptoms ranging from hot flashes and mood swings to sleep disturbances. These symptoms can significantly impact a woman’s quality of life, yet discussions surrounding menopause are often relegated to whispers or brushed aside as inconsequential. By remaining silent, societal institutions perpetuate the stigma surrounding menopause, leaving many women feeling isolated and uninformed about what to expect.

A University College London study found more than 90% of postmenopausal women were never taught about menopause at school and over 60% only started looking for information about it once their symptoms had started.

Normalizing menopause involves breaking down these barriers of silence and fostering open conversations about the physical and emotional changes women experience during this transition. By encouraging dialogue, women will feel empowered to seek support, explore treatment options and navigate this phase of life with confidence and dignity.

Some young women might be given a brief, broad overview of menopause in junior high or high school, but never experience any further formal education on the topic.

Health teacher Amy LaBarge gave an overview of how menopause is addressed in the Pleasant Valley High School health curriculum: “When we talk about the reproductive system for the male and female, we talk about the fact that the female will actually stop, and we call that menopause. We talk about it in that regard, kind of as one main point, which is that this will happen eventually to the female as part of her reproductive system… I think that as people choose the medical field, then obviously they would want to give more time and attention to this topic.”  

In the medical field, however, many doctors have felt unqualified to conduct menopause research due to what little education they received on the subject in their residencies.

In an interview with PBS, Dr. Stephanie Faubion, director of the Mayo Clinic’s Center for Women’s Health and medical director of the North American Menopause Society, explained why she believes menopause is understudied.

“We published a study a few years ago on how much training medical residents were getting, and those were residents and internal medicine, family medicine and OBGYN… none of those residency programs were receiving much in the way of education on menopause– about one to two hours at most– and the majority of those residents felt uncomfortable managing menopause when they graduated their training programs… But also I think many physicians feel there isn’t anything to do about the symptoms,” Faubion explained.

By investing in menopause research, medical professionals can advance their knowledge of this complex biological process and develop more effective strategies for managing its symptoms.

President Biden’s recent Executive Order on Advancing Women’s Health Research and Innovation sheds light on the importance of normalizing menopause and allocating more resources to research this crucial phase of a woman’s life.

The executive order signals a commitment to addressing the unique healthcare needs of women, including menopause. By prioritizing research funding and raising awareness, the administration aims to improve healthcare outcomes and promote equity in women’s health.

The executive order says it will: “launch a comprehensive assessment of the current state of the science on menopause to develop an evidence-based research agenda that will guide Federal and private sector investments in menopause-related research.”

Recognizing the intersectionality of menopause is crucial, as women from marginalized communities often face additional challenges accessing healthcare. By prioritizing equity and inclusivity in menopause research and healthcare initiatives, medical professionals can ensure  all women receive the care and support they need during this transformative phase of life.

The new executive order addresses this need, stating: “Agency Members of the Initiative shall identify and, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, prioritize grantmaking and other awards to advance women’s health research, with an emphasis on…addressing health disparities and inequities affecting women, including those related to race, ethnicity, age, socioeconomic status, disability, and exposure to environmental factors and contaminants that can directly affect health.”

Normalizing menopause and increasing research funding are critical steps towards improving the health and well-being of women around the world. By breaking the silence, promoting awareness and investing in research, medical professionals can empower women to navigate menopause with confidence, dignity and resilience. President Biden’s executive order on women’s health sets a positive precedent for addressing the unique healthcare needs of women, including menopause and underscores the importance of prioritizing women’s health on the national agenda.