Student employment declines amidst soaring college costs

Spencer Johnson
Senior Matthew Pischke works a five hour shift at Fareway.

With the ever inflating price of college tuition, room and board, students rely increasingly on their parents and scholarships rather than working a part time job and saving their own money. This increases the likelihood of having to take out student loans and a hanging debt on graduates’ financial future.

College tuition has skyrocketed, seeing a substantial increase of 9.24% since 2010. This factor alone limits many excelling students to in-state schools, as they are unable to afford the lofty price of attending an out-of-state four year university.

There has also been a decline in the number of employed high school students, as teens are less likely to work part time or hold a summer job. In 1979, 60% of high school students were actively working compared to a mere 35% today. 

Senior Luke Eckman, a mechanic at Healthy Habits Bicycle Shop, understands the desire for scholarships as opposed to a job. “Depending on your situation, it can actually be a more efficient use of your time applying for scholarships instead of working, but before you get to that age it is always good to work,” he said.

Many argue teens have become complacent living under their parents for longer periods of time. This carries the idea that parents are now responsible for paying the entirety of a student’s college tuition.

Junior Becca Hahm believes overindulged children are to blame for the decline in the young workforce. “Many children are currently being handed things without putting in any effort. Because of this practice many kids don’t see they need to work when they can simply ask their parents for money,” he said.

High school has also become much more demanding of students as they are pushed to take classes that both challenge and prepare them for the future. This burdensome task requires an average of 17.5 hours per week spent on homework, an increase from the 5-6 hours it took teens in the mid 1990’s.

Hahm reflects on how rigorous workloads change a student’s priorities. “High school and education all together has increased in standards and difficulty. Because of this, students are putting more time and effort into studying and getting good test scores. This prohibits them from having enough time to even consider having a job or socializing with their friends and family,” she said.

As questions regarding the idea of “free tuition” continue to circulate political discussions students remain stuck with the high sticker price of attending college. The only surefire way of reducing this lifetime costs is saving early by working a part time job.