Beyond the classroom: Teachers’ hidden talents inspire students at PV

Drew Anderson plays with the band Identity Crisis. Photo Credit: John Korn

In the bustling world of high school, students often perceive their teachers solely through interactions in the classroom. Students judge their teacher’s lives based on their subject expertise and behaviors in a short 45 minute period, but outside of school, teachers have unnoticed talents, passions and hobbies.

Acknowledging these aspects of teachers’ lives can foster connections, encourage exploration and bring forward a new sense of respect and understanding to teachers from students.

Many students at PV go through years of classes with a variety of teachers. Some students may sit in a classroom for almost 100 hours and not know that their teacher is a two time Jeopardy champion, such as social studies instructor Jennifer Broders.

Pleasant Valley High School is home to over 100 teachers who instruct a plethora of subjects. Some teachers walk the halls with incredible talents and unknown expertise.

Band director Drew Anderson regularly performs with a popular local band, called Identity Crisis. The group performs at numerous public and private events, with Anderson playing on lead trumpet. The band formed in 2004 and after a few gigs Anderson joined. Inside the band is a great network of local musicians, many of whom are band directors at nearby schools.

Anderson finds his musical activities to be valuable in his band directing position.

“I mean I am by no means a professional musician, but if there are students interested in the field I can provide some advice,” he said.

Band students find intrigue in Anderson’s musical gigs and find ways to connect with him through their interest. Band student Claire Onions shared her reaction to discovering one of her band directors played professionally. “I remember walking into this restaurant and Mr. Anderson was there. It was pretty cool that the live band had one of our directors in it. It definitely wasn’t something I expected,” she said.

Other PV faculty members are involved in activities outside of their instruction area. 

Mary Johnson serves as the school’s career coordinator. She is very open with her students about the things she does outside of her work at PV. Johnson works with a large variety of students in the career center, and using her personal experiences helps students make their own decisions. 

Johnson plans to retire from PV next year, and she has big plans for the future. “I am opening a book cafe and bar. I have worked on most of the planning and am still deciding on location. I am really excited about this project because it represents all of the things I love and I will get to work with people that I like too,” she shared. 

Johnson thinks it is important for educators to share their own experiences with students. “Besides wanting to share my own excitement, I think that when a student can connect and learn from their teachers, especially one helping them with their future career, it can help the student in the long run and make interactions more genuine.”

While Johnson is very open about her activities, not all teachers are as outspoken.

The realization that teachers actually live vibrant and purposeful lives outside of the classroom opens up a myriad of opportunities for students to connect with their teachers and maximize their educational outcome. When teachers embrace their passions and pursue diverse interests they can not only enrich their own lives, but also uplift and inspire the students that they work with day to day.

$580
$1000